Too hot to handle, really. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Too hot to handle, really.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 06:02 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 461

I think George Harrison summed it up..."Happiness is a warm gun."

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Agreed 100% .

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9159 Times on 3955 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

A firearm is basically a nitrate burning engine, with a free piston (the bullet) The more gunpowder you burn, and the quicker you burn it, the hotter it gets. I have gotten bad 2nd degree burns from 7.62 NATO brass from an M60 machinegun going down my sleeve. 10 rounds thru a .22 auto pistol- warm. 6 rounds of max load .357 through a revolver, hot. 5 round quick fire thru a light barreled .308, scorch your fingertips.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #14

Liked 1788 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 1356

Baseball cap, crew neck, long pants, socks & sneakers at the range and don't try to catch the brass. I think I can remember that when my permit comes through.

Last edited by Vincine; 07-30-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #15

Liked 1788 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 1356

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Why would you let it catch on fire? seems a little destructive to me.
What burns on guns? The paint? I didn't realize they were painted. I thought black was the color of the metal's surface treatment.

Wouldn't firing that many rounds through a submachine gun at one time warp the barrel or something? Are they designed to dump heat as well as a regular machine gun?

(I don't really know much about guns, just a few things about design.)

Old 07-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #16

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 757

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Actually, I haven't had the experience yet, either. But I've seen it happen to others. And after I shoot a cylinder full of rounds from my revolver, those casings are HOT when I try to take them out of the cylinder. The semi-autos are spitting them out at you.

As my shooting partner said, his wife had a hot casing go down her top and she burnt her "jigglies". I'm still laughing..........not that she got burned but he called her breasts "jigglies". I also noticed when I went shooting with this guy, he gave me the position in the lane to his right. So his casings were flying at me and he was not in any danger of hot casings. Way to go, Jon!!!!!

Personally, I wouldn't wear sandals to a range, either. I always wear athletic shoes and socks. t-shirt, long pants.

But for the men, I recommend them to shoot shirtless so if a hot casing comes at them they don't have a shirt on for it to get stuck in.
Most important, a baseball hat. Most folks wear shooting glasses, but without a hat a case can drop between your eye and the glasses. I've seen it happen.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:02 PM   #17

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 757

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
What burns on guns? The paint? I didn't realize they were painted. I thought black was the color of the metal's surface treatment.

Wouldn't firing that many rounds through a submachine gun at one time warp the barrel or something? Are they designed to dump heat as well as a regular machine gun?

An AK is not a sub gun.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post

Some guns are blued, some are parkerized, and some are duracoated (basically paint)

I watched the video again and I don't think it was the finish on the metal that was on fire. I think it was the synthetic stock.

As jpattersonnh said, an AK is not an smg, it is an assult rifle. the difference between a smg, machine gun, and assult rifle is that a smg fires pistol rounds, an assult rifle fires rifle rounds from a magazine, and a machine gun fires large (like .50 bmg) rounds that are fed into the reciever with a belt.

Firing that many rounds through one and allowing it to get that hot can damage the barrel. During WW2, there are numerous accounts of machine gun teams carrying extra barrels because they would get so hot that they would overheat, bend, and warp. This problem was solved by preventing the machine gun from firing at it's max rate of fire so that the barrel was less likely to overheat.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 07-30-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9159 Times on 3955 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Most firearms are "air cooled", meaning that the handguard/ forearm has vents for air to move around the barrel, and carry away heat.

But they are not meant to be used as a firehose. Yes, trying to do so does not do the firearm any good, and will damage barrel. Usually, in videos like the one mentioned, you see the synthetic or wooden handguard that has soaked up oil/grease/cosmoline ignited by the heat of the barrel.

Weapons that are meant to be fired at extended high rates (such as a belt fed MG) have heavier barrels, or (like the M60) provided with a spare barrel (change time about 1.5 seconds if yer good).

At one time some MGs were water cooled- there was a jacket around the barrel that held water, which would be turned to steam, keeping barrel temps down. Modern high rate MGs have barrels that use advanced metalurgy, and may have a liner of a special material- such as stellite (steel alloy with cobalt, nickel, etc)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #20

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Just to add to what C3 posted, the earliest machine gun, the Gatling gun, actually had one of the most efficient means of cooling the barrel during sustained fire. By using multiple barrels each one has a chance to cool while the other 5, 6, or 7 are in use. The basic design is still in use today in the MIDI gun and the A-10 Warthog's devastating 30mm Vulcan, aka The Finger of God.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington