Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Tips to improve shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2277 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Remember that smooth moves (plus practice) will outpace fast, sloppy, "drop the mag" moves.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 10-05-2010, 02:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGunz View Post
I got a SIG P226 at the beginning of June and I've probably been to the range 25-30 times now since then. This past month I've had to focus my time and money elsewhere so I haven't been able to go. I finally went the other day and I was sooo rusty... Is this normal? Also, my shooting range is a very good range and they do offer some classes. But I feel like I'm past the basics and I'm wondering if I should invest in a class or just try and get some one on one instruction. Any tips? Thanks.

Pimp your sights to improve target acquisition at a higher degree:

I'd call this a competition combo, a custom straight eight on luminescent green, plus orange day sights, ( on the orange dots the luminescence is short lived, but it charges in a second).

If after this you still can't put a decent group together, in the troubleshooting process, you can't blame the sights.

Visit our website
FOLLOW US ON YOUTUBE

It works, only if you use it!
Look for me in the vendor display

Old 10-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

For the past year & a half, I've known my trigger control is pretty woeful (typical groupings low & right when the adrenalin is high ie *Lefty pattern*)

Never been able to do any dryfiring until now, and have been attempting the past few days the 'balance a 5c coin on the top of your front sight drill' (or whatever corresponding small currency you have )

Unless my grip is good - without squeezing the dominant hand fingers - and unless the trigger pull is SLOW and STRAIGHT BACK - without the jerking or slapping I've been customarily doing - the coin will not fall off the sight during dryfiring.

Think this is an awesome drill; really helped me work out exactly how I should be working the trigger so as to not jerk it. If I can get through a 10-rnd mag of snap caps and not have the coin fall, I'm very happy.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 10-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #14

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
I have a question about speed. In shooting, what's the best way to go about improving speed with drawing, reloading, and shooting (while remaining accurate) itself? Are there any real secrets or is it literally just practicing it slowly and gradually getting faster? Thank you.
Speed vs accuracy is a trade off. While glowing sight paint is cute, no tricks will make you a better shot - especially when you want both speed and accuracy. The only solution is to master the fundamentals and practice. Consistency is the key, same grip, same sight picture, same trigger pull - until it becomes second nature. Once the basics are locked in concrete, you can then work on your speed...

Old 10-06-2010, 12:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
For the past year & a half, I've known my trigger control is pretty woeful (typical groupings low & right when the adrenalin is high ie *Lefty pattern*)

Never been able to do any dryfiring until now, and have been attempting the past few days the 'balance a 5c coin on the top of your front sight drill' (or whatever corresponding small currency you have )

Unless my grip is good - without squeezing the dominant hand fingers - and unless the trigger pull is SLOW and STRAIGHT BACK - without the jerking or slapping I've been customarily doing - the coin will not fall off the sight during dryfiring.

Think this is an awesome drill; really helped me work out exactly how I should be working the trigger so as to not jerk it. If I can get through a 10-rnd mag of snap caps and not have the coin fall, I'm very happy.
Interesting. I just tried this but I had no problem not dropping the nickel and dime (in single-action). I also cannot go through an entire mag of snap caps because if I rack the slide, of course the coin wil fall.

Last edited by NewGunz; 10-06-2010 at 12:51 AM.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:23 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
While glowing sight paint is cute, no tricks will make you a better shot
I was hoping somebody would knock that idea down

Old 10-06-2010, 01:57 AM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Speed vs accuracy is a trade off. While glowing sight paint is cute, no tricks will make you a better shot - especially when you want both speed and accuracy. The only solution is to master the fundamentals and practice. Consistency is the key, same grip, same sight picture, same trigger pull - until it becomes second nature. Once the basics are locked in concrete, you can then work on your speed...
I have problems going too fast for my skill level; when the adrenalin kicks in all the pre-buzzer thoughts of "Go slow & smooth" fly out the proverbial window lol

Accuracy will indeed suffer if you go faster than the level you are at. Paradoxically, the one or two times I have managed to slow down and not rush it during competition, I was a lot more accurate and strangely faster in the end. Your perception may be that time is slowing however you end up being faster. If that makes any sense at all

Good quote on the subject -

Fast is fine, accuracy is final! you need to learn to be slow in a hurry.
- Wyatt Earp.

Quote:
Interesting. I just tried this but I had no problem not dropping the nickel and dime (in single-action). I also cannot go through an entire mag of snap caps because if I rack the slide, of course the coin wil fall.

Yes you do have to re-position the coin each time, a bit tedious but at least you get to learn to re-acquire a good grip. Don't think I would have been able to analyse exactly how my trigger pull & as it relates to grip was lacking otherwise.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 10-16-2010, 06:17 AM   #18

Default eyes open

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
I was hoping somebody would knock that idea down
Unfortunately as of now, to acquire your target you still have to keep your eyes open, and that is not a trick, you might assume everyone sees things just like you do and you'd be wrong.

Some of us have more or less difficulty with our eyes and while we can knock down an intruder flat without even checking our sights, we still enjoy making a good group at 25 yards wit the help of the "glowing sight paint is cute"

Visit our website
FOLLOW US ON YOUTUBE

It works, only if you use it!
Look for me in the vendor display