Tips to improve shooting?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Tips to improve shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 06:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Tips to improve shooting?

I got a SIG P226 at the beginning of June and I've probably been to the range 25-30 times now since then. This past month I've had to focus my time and money elsewhere so I haven't been able to go. I finally went the other day and I was sooo rusty... Is this normal? Also, my shooting range is a very good range and they do offer some classes. But I feel like I'm past the basics and I'm wondering if I should invest in a class or just try and get some one on one instruction. Any tips? Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2010, 07:17 AM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Shooting well is IMHO a perishable skill - but it tends to comes back quickly. The caveat is if you are well grounded in fundamentals like stance, grip, and trigger control. When I've had a long layoff it will take me an hour or so to shake off the rust - but I've been shooting handguns for many years. If you are relatively new to the sport, some professional instruction is always a good thing as you may need some help with the fundamentals...

Old 10-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Shooting ability is a perishable art. You have got to practice it over and over to stay current on it. So, yes, this is not unusual at all.

The 2 key things to always remember about shooting are:

1. Concentrate on the front sight.
2. Slowly press the trigger. When the gun goes off, it should surprise you.

If you follow those 2 rules, you'll pretty much always be on target.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2962 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

+1 on the above, but allow me to reiterate that there are 4 steps to shooting:
Sight alignment
Breath control
Trigger pull
Follow through

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Try loading no more than 5 rounds per mag, and when you aren't hitting your intended aim point, make very small grip changes and see what effect they have. Sometimes, for me, the problem is in the placement of the thick of my thumb or/and having too much/too little finger on the trigger, and it can be as little as a couple rows of fingerprints. A couple days ago I dug my thumbnail into the pad on my trigger finger until it hurt when I found the proper spot, and there was no more guessing.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 10-02-2010, 01:44 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

These two videos greatly improved my grouping. Grip and Trigger pull are the two most important things to focus on when shooting a handgun (that's my opinion)

Hope this helps

Shooting Coach

Todd Jarrett

Old 10-02-2010, 02:36 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

THE best shooting tip I can give to improve your groups is this.....

move closer to your target

Old 10-02-2010, 06:31 AM   #8

Why thank you Gojubrian... Hahaha.

Well, I followed the above tips thanks to you guys at the range today and placed MUCH better shots. I brought some of those winchester targets that glow around the areas that are shot and have little black dot stickers. I was actually able to hit a direct bullseye and hit a tiny black dot in 2 tries at around 13 yards. I focused on my trigger pull and grip the most. I found that when I went the other day, I was not gripping the pistol as fully and firmly as I should have been.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #9

I have a question about speed. In shooting, what's the best way to go about improving speed with drawing, reloading, and shooting (while remaining accurate) itself? Are there any real secrets or is it literally just practicing it slowly and gradually getting faster? Thank you.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGunz View Post
I have a question about speed. In shooting, what's the best way to go about improving speed with drawing, reloading, and shooting (while remaining accurate) itself? Are there any real secrets or is it literally just practicing it slowly and gradually getting faster? Thank you.
Buy some snap caps and practice reloading, drawing and dry firing at home. Even if you're just sitting on the couch watching tv. Time yourself, try to beat your older times.

There isn't any real secrets. Unless you're related to this guy.