are times changing? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > are times changing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 03:33 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 345 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 6

up until 15 years ago, no one thought we could have mountain lions in North Dakota. 10 years ago, one mauled a horse a few miles from my parents house, 5 years ago they started an experimental mountain lion season. now it's a regular thing, can't remember off hand but i think there's a limit of 10 total cats for the eastern 2/3 of the state, but for some of the western districts there is no limit. 3 or 4 years ago, in one of our little towns, a cat was holed up in a culvert near a golf course & playground. 2 years ago, a mountain lion was spotted & verified by authorities in the city limits of Bismarck, hell that means i'm not even safe at work anymore

but honestly mountain lions are the last thing i worry about when i'm in rural areas, all in all i think i have to worry more about the 2-legged predators moving into the state more so than the 4-legged ones.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:25 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2733 Times on 1431 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I have seen a mountain lion in the Sam Houston National Forest just outside of Huntsville, Tx. Stories abound of Black panthers in the area East of Huntsville.

Saw game cam photo's of a mountain lion in Eastern Travis County (Austin, TX) last year.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-01-2011, 04:36 AM   #13

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

pretty much up till last year I hadn't seen a bear in ky then last year I was coming home from work and there was a freakin black bear eating out of a guys garden. Animal control took care of it but we just never saw one in the town, then I was trapping later on the same year and I got a bob cat. Just because some desk jockie says that it's not out there or in that area does not mean sh*t, another prime example over near simpsons lake one of my buddies was hunting some property and he ended up shooting a hog and a 6 point buck, when most people didn't think we had hogs roaming around here.

Pretty much every time I go into the woods camping, hunting, hiking...etc, I carry when I can I carry a rifle just in case, I don't trust what the officials say esp when they sit behind a desk all day.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 12-01-2011, 04:43 AM   #14

Bears are the main thing here in the Blue Ridge Mtns. where I am. Though they will leave you alone most of the time. My neighbor likes his bird feeders and they are constantly getting up on the porch and ripping them down. I keep teasing him that he used to be worried about the squirrels raiding them.
But feeders and trash cans are in essence 'baiting'. Usually, just step out the door and crack-off a couple rounds out of the .22 and they lumber away.

The worry part is when we're deep in the woods riding atv's or wandering around. Come across Mama bear and a cub or two...and she's not gonna just lumber away...so I always have the G23.
Thank goodness that hasn't happened to me. I'd hate to hafta shoot a Mama bear. She's just protecting the young-uns against a 2-legged freak. I'd do the same thing.

Under my shirt? Oh that..it's a cell phone.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:44 AM   #15

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis845

A number of years ago, Missouri's DNR released hundreds of Timber Rattle snakes to reintroduce them to Missouri forests. Now, if they stayed on state property I'd be fine with that.
You and me both. The dumb ba$#%&@- also brought back lynxs to missouri. I know....old man i hunt on borrowed one of my heavy game steel traps and caught it in his chickens. I also caught and killed a cougar at my grandmas on the niangua river last winter. It was after one of her calves. Needless to say when i ran traps after that i had my ragen bull on me besides my 22.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #16

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Many years ago, my wife & a neighbor were on their way back from a trip to Austin & saw a mountain lion sitting on the side of a hill, not far from the highway, just watching the cars go by!

Old 12-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #17

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1943

The times are changing, IMO.

They made a man president that

McDonald's wouldn't give a Ronald

uniform to...

Old 12-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #18

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1