Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > are times changing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default are times changing?

When old enough to head for the hills, we did. Early on my parents insisted on a knife, waterproof matches, and a compass.
Here in MN the last two years have mad it apparent that a prudent person should be carrying.
Our DNR (like many others) insisted we had no large cats until trail cams proved them to be mistaken. Coming from the northern portion of the state and at present residing in the southern part, I talk with outdoors people from International Falls ( the nephews) to Rochester). Hunting, camping, and 4-wheeling take me from one end of Minnesota to the other. Grey wolves (timber wolves) are found residing from north to south (one being shot in the Whitewater Valley being mistaken for a coyote was the official story: I almost dare to wonder if it wasn't how can a man be charged with shooting something the state says isn't there).
Overnight the coyotes can lay down enough tracks that a body wonders how long it will be before some tragedy hits the news. I'm older, my children are grown, my grandchildren are not. I carry!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2011, 03:49 AM   #2

I was hunting in the river bottoms this season and we saw 6 yotes in two days. Almost shot one at 20 yards for chasing my buck away. Times are changing, I always carry when I'm out in the woods, condition 1 ready to go.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:49 AM   #3

Between Hastings and Prescott,Wisconsin for location.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:50 AM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1713 Times on 934 Posts
Likes Given: 545

I do a lot of kayaking here at Lake Havasu. I have not carried while paddling but am rethinking after seeing mountain lions. The lake is on the CA - AZ border and while I can carry in AZ, I can not in CA. Mountain lions are protected in CA and they have killed a few people that were alone. I guess there is safety in numbers. We have coyotes in town. I have seen several just trotting down the street by my house. They keep the rabbits down.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 11-30-2011 at 03:53 AM.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

State of MI and IN "official" stand is there are no cougars in either state. Never saw a cat in IN yet, but too many rumors and even a trail cam pic from down south leads me to believe they are here. Just cause you aint seeing them dont mean they aint there. They ARE called the ghosts of the forest for a REASON!

In Michigan: (Dah Yooper)

I personally saw one with my own eyes east of Rapid River, MI in '97 and was stalked by a wounded cat in '00. (East of Rapid River)

How do i know i was stalked, one might ask?

Deer camp '00, i was living in my tent for 2 weeks. After 2 days of snow it finally let up in the early evening. The next morning I went out wandering to see what i could see. I cut a cat track in the snow. Started following it. Noticed cat was dragging one paw. Thought to myself, "hmmm wounded cat 300 yards from camp, this cant bode well!" continued to track with finger on the trigger of the 06. Came to a rise and thought, "Damn this looks familiar!" Saw where cat had laid down and where the tail had swished back and forth in the snow...looked over the rise and down on my camp!!

The night before i had stood out by the fire drinking beer and sipping whiskey whilst cooking a steak over an open fire. (i have a film of my beer next to the steak on the grill...it was so cold the beer was freezing in my hand so i had to put it on the grill to keep it "cold") That damn cat had laid not 20 yards behind and above me watching me cook!!

That night I broke a long standing rule in deer camp...instead of unloading the guns BEFORE starting the drinking I loaded every gun to the max and made sure there was one in the chamber. The 1911 on my hip, in condition 1 and easy to hand!

Scared the HELL outta me!! Black bears, wolves and cougars deep in the cedar swamps....not the place to be screwing around!!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #6

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Times are definitely changing. Due to population growth & cities/towns spreading out, the wild critters are losing territory. Sad, but a fact of life. This means we can see them in areas that they would not have ventured in years past. Also, the animal rights people are trying to "reintroduce" species to areas where they have disappeared. Admirable idea, to save the wildlife, but every time humans try to meddle with nature, they mess it up.

I remember hearing about Austrailia putting a bounty on dingos, to lower the population. Ended up being over run with rabbits.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:50 PM   #7

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
Times are definitely changing. Due to population growth & cities/towns spreading out, the wild critters are losing territory. Sad, but a fact of life. This means we can see them in areas that they would not have ventured in years past. Also, the animal rights people are trying to "reintroduce" species to areas where they have disappeared. Admirable idea, to save the wildlife, but every time humans try to meddle with nature, they mess it up.

I remember hearing about Austrailia putting a bounty on dingos, to lower the population. Ended up being over run with rabbits.
A number of years ago, Missouri's DNR released hundreds of Timber Rattle snakes to reintroduce them to Missouri forests. Now, if they stayed on state property I'd be fine with that.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:29 AM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1713 Times on 934 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
And rabbits are not native to Australia. They finally killed them off with a disease.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-01-2011, 02:45 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 303 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Even in the summer when I'm out cutting wood or hiking around my property, I always have a gun with me. You just never know what you might run into. Better to be prepared than dead.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:52 AM   #10

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

We got a pretty bad bigfoot and yeti problem here in Pa..game rangers say we dont but them folks on the history channel seem to think/say otherwise hehehe

Have Gun....Will Travel