Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Thoughts on a Sig Mosquito?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 10:46 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 228 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 28

In all likelihood, the Rugers and Brownings that can be found at similar prices will be both more accurate and less ammo sensitive than a Mosquito. I've also heard good things about the GSG 1911 22lrs.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:56 AM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Ive got a mosquito. Its one of the worst guns i have. The only reason i dont sell it is cuz i would feel bad pawning it off on someone.
What you want for that?

Old 08-01-2011, 01:30 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5327 Times on 2781 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
What you want for that?
sent ya pm's but my wife got it for me as a gift im not sure i really want to sell it. it does have some sentimental value even if it is prolly worse than a sigma...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-01-2011, 03:24 AM   #14

Liked 58 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 62

This is kinda funny to see this thread, i had a dream about 2 days ago that i caught someone breaking into my house when i pushed open the door the guy looked at me and slammed the door shut so i kicked it back open and drew a Sig Mosquito, why i have no idea, i dont have one and have never wanted one but i had one in my dream for some reason, anyway when he seen me draw the sig he also pulled a gun and i started pulling the trigger on the sig but it wouldnt budge, i was thinking dam first time and its my last and i woke up right before he shot me, long story short, i still wouldnt buy a sig mosquito.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #15
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6763 Times on 4086 Posts
Likes Given: 8096

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
sent ya pm's but my wife got it for me as a gift im not sure i really want to sell it. it does have some sentimental value even if it is prolly worse than a sigma...
Hahaha.........Jon only gives ME good deals, Shihan.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5327 Times on 2781 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Winds, no one gets a good deal on a mosquito even if sig paid you take one heh.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #17

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My Mosquito.

It was a birthday gift from my wife a few years ago when they first hit the market. She bought it based on my desire for a semi-auto .22 and on Sig's reputation.

It was a pig. Fail to feed, fire and eject, with several brands of ammo, including CCI Mini-Mag. It also did something I've never seen in 50 some years of shooting. It would strip a round from the magazine (when it did fire) and threw the entire cartridge out of the ejection port, returning to battery on an empty chamber.

After a couple of calls, I got Sig to take it back. They replaced the pistol with a brand new one. Off to the range and many of the same problems as with the first pistol, except tossing full cartridges. I got detailed help from Sig in selecting the correct recoil spring and sights, but it still wasn't working reliably.

Exchanging emails with Sig CS, I again voiced my frustration and finally got someone who was able to help. Twenty-twos are very dirty, I think we all know that. The Sig Mosquito is very dirt sensitive. They need to be cleaned every 100 rounds or so. They also need lubrication. LOTS of lubrication! Every semi-auto pistol I've ever owned (and that's a bunch) work well with just a thin coat of oil. Mosquitos need to be hosed down with oil. LOTS of oil. Sig even made a lube hole drilled into the slide on the right side, especially for lubing the extractor. The extractor requires LOTS and LOTS of oil. Trouble is, the excess lube causes the bullet lube and powder residue dirt to build up faster.

Once I was aware of the lube problem and was prepared to clean it often on the range, the Mosquito became more reliable, but not totally reliable. As with many others, I found the Mosquito performs best with CCI Mini Mag ammo. With the correct ammo and sight selection, my Mosquito became a very accurate pistol.

Now, knowing it is not a combat or competition pistol, it performs adequately as a plinker, with occasional malfunctions. Some day I may trade it for a Ruger MK 3, but it was a gift from Herself.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 08-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Thanks for all the input, I think a few more bucks would be well invested toward getting a Ruger or Browning. I dont mind a little problem once in a while but I would rather spend my time shooting.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:55 AM   #19

Default sig

My wife has a mosquito and there is nothing wrong with it she loves it and it is a good little plinker at the range and a decocker which i love for the .22
I have a ruger mark 2 and i have never had any problems with that either. don't get me wrong i love the ruger the best though and if you were going to get a 22 i think a ruger would be the way to go anyway.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:10 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hi this is rigs wife...I have a Walther. 22 and it is one of the best handguns I have ever owned. Never a failure with it....accurate and well made. Price is right too. Just giving my two cents just like most wives do....mostly cuz we r always right. I also have a Springfield. 40 for my conceal carry weapon. FYI

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649