Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Thoughts on a Sig Mosquito? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/thoughts-sig-mosquito-46045/)

Billy9mm 07-31-2011 03:52 PM

Thoughts on a Sig Mosquito?

I am thinking of buying a Sig Mosquito .22 from a friend but I really haven't heard any real pros or cons about the gun. Was also looking at the S&W .22. I'm looking at the same money for a used Sig or new S&W, would appreciate any info on both.

HOSSFLY 07-31-2011 05:16 PM

I've owned 2 of the Sigs-
IMO pretty good for the money :cool:
BUT be prepared to shoot only GOOD ammo in it- both mine liked CCI mini mags

The S&W was & is just too ugly for me :rolleyes:

rigjumpr 07-31-2011 05:17 PM

first a queston to you, what will this .22 be used for? but, right off the cuff I would go with the Sig. but again thats me..

Billy9mm 07-31-2011 05:35 PM

just wanting it for target and plinking

rigjumpr 07-31-2011 05:41 PM

as stated.... Sig for the money and yet again thats me.

JonM 07-31-2011 06:41 PM

Ive got a mosquito. Its one of the worst guns i have. The only reason i dont sell it is cuz i would feel bad pawning it off on someone.

Reasons i dont like is the trigger is gods aweful i mean really bad. And after a hundred or so rounds it has to be cleaned to shoot again. Spent cases will stick in the chamber until its cleaned.

Terrible gun if it functioned better with a better trigger it would be a damn fine firearm as it fits my hand perfectly.

Hollander 07-31-2011 06:53 PM

Have had the Mosquito for over a year and a half. More fun than my first bb gun. You have to learn to deal with an occasional malfunction like FTE or so but since you life does not depend on it I do not have a problem. I shoot it every time I go to the range (3x / month). When I got it I cleaned it and polished the feed ramp. Broke it in with CCI Mini Mags but now shoot Fed bult or Rem Golden bullets. I personally like the Fed ammo better. The gun is not perfect but you can have a lot of fun with it. I keep it clean and well lubed with Mobil One synthetic. I can shoot over 200 rounds at a time with no problem. For the money it is a fun gun. Are there better guns in 22 lr - yes. The decision is what you want to deal with and for general fun and range shooting I very much enjoy the Mosquito.

rigjumpr 07-31-2011 07:00 PM

There you have it a difference of opinion and that OK. JonM has his, in which I respectfully disagree. I like mine. But ultimately it’s up to your likes.

canebrake 07-31-2011 07:14 PM

Here's a thought, Why is the guy selling it? :rolleyes:

utf59 07-31-2011 09:40 PM

My Mosquito sucks. At least one malfunction per mag. A friend has one that runs like a sewing machine. As I understand it, some of the earlier ones had problems that were corrected on later models. So do your homework.

I have a couple of friends with S&W .22s. I forget which model exactly, but they're the low-end models. They have occasional malfunctions, but nothing that really ruins a range outing.

Both guns are lots of fun when they run right, but I guess you could say that about any gun.

Personally, I would (and did after the Mosquito fiasco) put down a little more money on a better gun. I bought a Ruger, and I'm very happy with it. Yet another friend has a Buckmark, and it's a great gun too. I've known a few people with Walther P22s, and they love them.