Thoughts on Ruger LC9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Thoughts on Ruger LC9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Thoughts on Ruger LC9

Hey guys, I've been looking for a BUG and I had my eyes on an LCP until the LC9 came out. What are your thoughts on this gun, and what else do you think would be better? Thanks in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

The LC9 crossed my mind, went with the Kel-Tec PF9 instead. I'm happy with my decision. Simple, affordable, reliable, and very light and compact.

There have been quite a few recall issues with newly introduced Ruger products of late. Maybe that'll be an issue here, maybe not. It's an interesting gun at the right price, but I find the micro PF9 (prices run $260-330 new) does quite well for even less.

I've also ordered a Kimber Solo Carry (they'll be $640-680 most places) without so much as holding one. Kind of a blind leap on my part, but the early reviews are really good. The PF9 was just to tithe me over until the Kimber arrived, but I like the Kel-Tec enough that I'll keep it regardless. We'll see if the same applies to the Kimber.

The other options for 9mm are the $550-700 Kahr PM9 (great track record) and the "coming soon" Sig P290. Not sure about pricing on the Sig yet (maybe $550-ish), but I've heard the Sig is a bit thick for a single stack. Oh...and then there's the $1000 Rohrbaugh R9.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:29 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
The LC9 crossed my mind, went with the Kel-Tec PF9 instead. I'm happy with my decision. Simple, affordable, reliable, and very light and compact.

There have been quite a few recall issues with newly introduced Ruger products of late. Maybe that'll be an issue here, maybe not. It's an interesting gun at the right price, but I find the micro PF9 (prices run $260-330 new) does quite well for even less.

I've also ordered a Kimber Solo Carry (they'll be $640-680 most places) without so much as holding one. Kind of a blind leap on my part, but the early reviews are really good. The PF9 was just to tithe me over until the Kimber arrived, but I like the Kel-Tec enough that I'll keep it regardless. We'll see if the same applies to the Kimber.

The other options for 9mm are the $550-700 Kahr PM9 (great track record) and the "coming soon" Sig P290. Not sure about pricing on the Sig yet (maybe $550-ish), but I've heard the Sig is a bit thick for a single stack. Oh...and then there's the $1000 Rohrbaugh R9.
Thanks for the info...maybe I'll wait a bit until some of the kinks are worked out, and meantime I can check out some of these others that you mentioned!

Old 02-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #4

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I would suggest the Kahr PM9. It's a much better gun. It's double the price, but it really is double the gun.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

RE Kahr PM9: Cheaper CW-type version is coming out apparently within a couple of months... Called the CM9. Link:

Kahr Arms CM9 Pistol

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 02-22-2011, 05:07 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will have to check out the Kahr, as well as do some reading on the new line coming out...thanks guys!

Old 02-22-2011, 05:28 AM   #7

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
RE Kahr PM9: Cheaper CW-type version is coming out apparently within a couple of months... Called the CM9. Link:

Kahr Arms CM9 Pistol
I would want the better rifling, but that's still a pretty damn good deal.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:06 AM   #8

Shot a demo LC9 at my range last week (they only had 1 from Ruger and were letting people shoot it to see if they wanted to be on a waiting list), and I wasn't impressed. I had high hope for this pistol, as I carry a Glock 26 and my race gun is a Glock 17, which I shoot very well.

I found myself dropping my shots low and right of the bullseye because of the long trigger pull; similar to the trigger of an S&W 637, without the heaviness.

For a comparison, I set up my Glock 26, 17, and my wife's Springfield EMP on the shelf and shot each of them in succession - all shots within the 9 ring at 10 yards. Needless to say, I decided not to order an LC9 and wait to try another single stack 9mm as my pocket BUG.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:54 AM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezedmayu View Post
For a comparison, I set up my Glock 26, 17, and my wife's Springfield EMP on the shelf and shot each of them in succession - all shots within the 9 ring at 10 yards. Needless to say, I decided not to order an LC9 and wait to try another single stack 9mm as my pocket BUG.
Completely different guns and different triggers, no way to truly compare the two.

I can't speak about the LC9 but I am very happy with the LCP. I also enjoy a double action trigger.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:45 AM   #10

Read a great article in Guns&Ammo recently about it. It will be my next purchase, ballistics of the 9mm in a .380 size package, can't beat that along with the track record the lcp has I will be pretty confident in my purchase especially considering the price. If you get it before me make sure you give us a review!