Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Thoughts on Ruger LC9 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/thoughts-ruger-lc9-38715/)

wickedins4nity 02-20-2011 06:46 AM

Thoughts on Ruger LC9

Hey guys, I've been looking for a BUG and I had my eyes on an LCP until the LC9 came out. What are your thoughts on this gun, and what else do you think would be better? Thanks in advance!

sweeper22 02-20-2011 07:44 AM

The LC9 crossed my mind, went with the Kel-Tec PF9 instead. I'm happy with my decision. Simple, affordable, reliable, and very light and compact.

There have been quite a few recall issues with newly introduced Ruger products of late. Maybe that'll be an issue here, maybe not. It's an interesting gun at the right price, but I find the micro PF9 (prices run $260-330 new) does quite well for even less.

I've also ordered a Kimber Solo Carry (they'll be $640-680 most places) without so much as holding one. Kind of a blind leap on my part, but the early reviews are really good. The PF9 was just to tithe me over until the Kimber arrived, but I like the Kel-Tec enough that I'll keep it regardless. We'll see if the same applies to the Kimber.

The other options for 9mm are the $550-700 Kahr PM9 (great track record) and the "coming soon" Sig P290. Not sure about pricing on the Sig yet (maybe $550-ish), but I've heard the Sig is a bit thick for a single stack. Oh...and then there's the $1000 Rohrbaugh R9.

wickedins4nity 02-21-2011 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweeper22 (Post 449353)
The LC9 crossed my mind, went with the Kel-Tec PF9 instead. I'm happy with my decision. Simple, affordable, reliable, and very light and compact.

There have been quite a few recall issues with newly introduced Ruger products of late. Maybe that'll be an issue here, maybe not. It's an interesting gun at the right price, but I find the micro PF9 (prices run $260-330 new) does quite well for even less.

I've also ordered a Kimber Solo Carry (they'll be $640-680 most places) without so much as holding one. Kind of a blind leap on my part, but the early reviews are really good. The PF9 was just to tithe me over until the Kimber arrived, but I like the Kel-Tec enough that I'll keep it regardless. We'll see if the same applies to the Kimber.

The other options for 9mm are the $550-700 Kahr PM9 (great track record) and the "coming soon" Sig P290. Not sure about pricing on the Sig yet (maybe $550-ish), but I've heard the Sig is a bit thick for a single stack. Oh...and then there's the $1000 Rohrbaugh R9.

Thanks for the info...maybe I'll wait a bit until some of the kinks are worked out, and meantime I can check out some of these others that you mentioned!

Polygon 02-21-2011 02:57 PM

I would suggest the Kahr PM9. It's a much better gun. It's double the price, but it really is double the gun.

Alchemist 02-21-2011 03:41 PM

RE Kahr PM9: Cheaper CW-type version is coming out apparently within a couple of months... Called the CM9. Link:

Kahr Arms CM9 Pistol

wickedins4nity 02-22-2011 04:07 AM

I will have to check out the Kahr, as well as do some reading on the new line coming out...thanks guys!

Polygon 02-22-2011 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alchemist (Post 450313)
RE Kahr PM9: Cheaper CW-type version is coming out apparently within a couple of months... Called the CM9. Link:

Kahr Arms CM9 Pistol

I would want the better rifling, but that's still a pretty damn good deal.

ezedmayu 02-27-2011 11:06 PM

Shot a demo LC9 at my range last week (they only had 1 from Ruger and were letting people shoot it to see if they wanted to be on a waiting list), and I wasn't impressed. I had high hope for this pistol, as I carry a Glock 26 and my race gun is a Glock 17, which I shoot very well.

I found myself dropping my shots low and right of the bullseye because of the long trigger pull; similar to the trigger of an S&W 637, without the heaviness.

For a comparison, I set up my Glock 26, 17, and my wife's Springfield EMP on the shelf and shot each of them in succession - all shots within the 9 ring at 10 yards. Needless to say, I decided not to order an LC9 and wait to try another single stack 9mm as my pocket BUG.

Shihan 02-28-2011 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezedmayu (Post 454639)
For a comparison, I set up my Glock 26, 17, and my wife's Springfield EMP on the shelf and shot each of them in succession - all shots within the 9 ring at 10 yards. Needless to say, I decided not to order an LC9 and wait to try another single stack 9mm as my pocket BUG.

Completely different guns and different triggers, no way to truly compare the two.

I can't speak about the LC9 but I am very happy with the LCP. I also enjoy a double action trigger.

rdk45 03-23-2011 02:45 AM

Read a great article in Guns&Ammo recently about it. It will be my next purchase, ballistics of the 9mm in a .380 size package, can't beat that along with the track record the lcp has I will be pretty confident in my purchase especially considering the price. If you get it before me make sure you give us a review!