Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > thoughts on the PPK?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default thoughts on the PPK?

I've googled this gun and found mixed results.
What are your thoughts on it? I had it in my hand at the gun shop and it felt very nice. I would use it as a CCW.
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The vernable Walther PPK - Famed gun of James Bond ( from the Ian Flemming novels anyways ) and always the gun listed as "a great gun for the little woman".

The Walther is a blow back operated semi auto, that despite the steel construction, is built on a weapon that doesn't weigh a lot. Generally when you hear people complain about FTE/FTF is because the shooter is usually limp wristing the recoil.

The inner workings are complex. Definitely not one you want to field strip down to the bare bones... LOL

All in all, it's a good little gun. The calibers are a little light for self defense, IMO, but as a back up gun, it wouldn't be all bad.

I think there are probably a few other models you might want to consider before dropping the $500 or so if this is to be your primary carry weapon though.

JD

Old 09-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Once owned one, great little back-up, off duty, or hide-out gun. The caliber is pretty wimpy for primary carry, but with some of the ammo available it would be what many consider as minimally acceptable. There were some that were made a few years ago that had a lot of problems, but I'm afraid I can't help you on that. Is there a Walther forum?
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 09-16-2008, 11:28 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

The Walther PPK? It was inwented by a little old lady in Leningrad....

Now the Makarov, there's a gun for a real man....

9x18=Makarov

Old 09-16-2008, 11:41 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have a Walther clone in .380 made by FEG in Hungary after they retooled to a CNC shop. The gun is beautiful, accurate, and never FTE/ FTF with any ball ammo or Speer GDHP. On the bench it makes 2-4" groups at 15 yds.
In 1997 I paid $182 for it new, and it is my primary carry gun in spring/summer.

Incidentally, the Makarov is Russia's answer to German engineering...unfortunately the question was lost in the translation.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-17-2008, 01:16 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post

Incidentally, the Makarov is Russia's answer to German engineering...unfortunately the question was lost in the translation.
I am going with ZING! ( +1 ) on that one.... LOL

JD

Old 09-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #7

Thanks for the info!! I'll try some other guns to see how they feel. I also liked the S&W little revolver.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2688 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

If you have large hands, you will find the PPK will leave two bloody tracks in the shooting hand between the thumb and index finger. Definiately not a gun for a beefy American hand.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 53 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 12

There's certainly nothing wrong with a PPK, but please understand that it is a small caliber. For the money, you may be just as well served with a Makarov or CZ. I'm not a fan of 380's but I do own several. My wife carries a CZ83 and likes it real well. I keep a Makarov 380ACP in my console along with a .375 Magnum. I also conceal carry a Kel Tec P3AT (380) in my pocket. Walther makes a fine handgun but there's no shortage of 380's out there...

Old 09-25-2008, 02:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
If you have large hands, you will find the PPK will leave two bloody tracks in the shooting hand between the thumb and index finger. Definiately not a gun for a beefy American hand.
That's why the current US made (S&W) PPK has a redesigned frame with a larger tang. Not quite a beaver tail, but enough to make hammer bite or rail cuts a thing of the past. I carried an older model (Interarms Stainless) PPK as my daily CCW piece for nearly ten years in an IWB holster. It carried well but it's not very pleasant to shoot. Although it's quite accurate and reliable, the DA pull is very heavy and the recoil gives a sharp sting to the heel of your palm.
Another comparable pistol is the SIG 232. It's nearly the same size with a slightly better trigger pull, but easier on the hand during recoil, which is likely due to the rubber grips. The PPK grips are hard plastic.
IMHO, the nicest pocket .380 to shoot is the Colt Officers Model, but these are about as common as dinosaur eggs. A buddy of mine has one and it's VERY nice. Only slightly larger than the PPK and it fires from a locked breach. Recoil-wise, it's a creampuff next to the PPK, but it's a single action and not quite as safe to carry as the DA pistols.

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa