For those who doubt hi-point - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > For those who doubt hi-point

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 04:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

i have one in layaway at big r and i will be picking it up in a few days, i got it in the 45 ACP. It seems anybody who has owned one has nothing but good to say about them and people who have never owned one or even held one are the ones that attempt to make them out to be crappy guns just because of the price. May i point out, the AK 47 was very cheap when it first hit the civilian market and most people were leery about them but now look at them, they are one of the most reliable guns on the market today. the Hi-Point is pretty much the same concept of everyone dissing on it because of the price, i know for a fact that these guns could stand up to a ton of torture just like these videos displayed. I know that these Hi-points are great guns and people who have no experience with them need to shut there clamps and give them the shot they deserve.

give me a gun and some sweet tea and im good for the day :)

Old 06-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I believe that the Hi-point is better made than they used to be. I've seen too many Hi-Points malfunction, some literally falling apart on too many ranges after they first came out to trust one now. I don't know of a police range in my area where they're authorized.

A good gunsmith friend of mine makes about 10% of his income just on Hi-Point pistols that have been brought back to the shops they were bought at because they wouldn't feed hollow points. In the Hi-Point's defense he tells me that they function pretty well on a diet of FMJ ball. He tells me that he's had several people trade the Hi-Point they'd bought in order to buy a pistol that would function reliably with JHPs. He says they'll shoot ball ammo okay, but that's about he'll say about them.

Just because a pistol is expensive, doesn't mean it would make a good SD gun. I've seen plenty of high priced pistols I wouldn't trust my life with for the simple reason that their tolerances are too tight for anything but bullseye competition matches and require meticulous cleaning. It isn't about price, so much as reliability, durability and capable of combat accuracy, and for me capable of feeding JHP ammunition. These are first and foremost before any other consideration IMHO.

To my knowledge, there aren't any quality concealment holsters made for the Hi-Point. I know there aren't any duty holsters made for them. As a general rule, major holster manufacturers produce holsters, magazine cases, etc. if there is a sufficient demand for them. I'm sure if you were willing to pay a premium price for a custom built holster you could find an individual holster maker who'd make you one, but by the time you paid for a Hi-Point and a custom holster you could've bought a standard pistol with a good choice of holsters in stock for them.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #13

I wouldn't buy one for use in defense. I would buy one because they are cheap, they are made in Ohio, and I am made in Ohio

Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #14
Jay

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What difference does it make? When it comes to guns, I won't let another person's opinion make my decision to buy or not. The Hi Points that I've handled, have looked/felt cheaply made, and after only a few minutes, I decided I'll pass on Hi Point. That doesn't mean that everyone else shouldn't sing their praises. I'm glad we have a choice.

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 06-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #15

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Thanks for the info Cory but I think I'll stick to guns that don't require a thread titled, "For those who doubt.....".

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-17-2011, 01:04 AM   #16

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

I've owned two C9s , they're fun to abuse but anything that jams falls from my trust list & my two where jam prone. My GI & SR9c haven't done it yet. The C9 does make a good hammer

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 01-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #17

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

One very important feature about the Hi Point gun is it shoots the same bullet as any other gun. It is the firing of the bullet that counts when any gun's trigger is pulled. And, any gun that is fired should be fired for a specific reason, whether it is for fun, for protection, or for game.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #18

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Well, even if i wanted one i'd have to order it because my local dealer will NOT stock them
O wait, if i ordered it it would have to be sent to said dealer
Never mind

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #19
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 892 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 419

Hi Cory, As you may of noticed there is a bit of snobbery here
If a firearm doesn't cost in the thousands someone is sure to frown upon it!
The Kimber folks have no problem spending $1500 hundred on a single pistol and then proudly declare they only had to run 500 rounds through it before they could declare it "reliable"! But they expect the $150 gun to function 100% right out of the box!
As I'm typing this Bud's is offering a High Point in .45 acp for $150 and free shipping hell you could have on in every corner of your home for the price of the one Kimber! So my advice to you is buy and use what works for you keep your powder dry and save your breath you aren't ever going to convince the doubters!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #20

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
Hi Cory, As you may of noticed there is a bit of snobbery here
If a firearm doesn't cost in the thousands someone is sure to frown upon it!
The Kimber folks have no problem spending $1500 hundred on a single pistol and then proudly declare they only had to run 500 rounds through it before they could declare it "reliable"! But they expect the $150 gun to function 100% right out of the box!
As I'm typing this Bud's is offering a High Point in .45 acp for $150 and free shipping hell you could have on in every corner of your home for the price of the one Kimber! So my advice to you is buy and use what works for you keep your powder dry and save your breath you aren't ever going to convince the doubters!
Very true-
You can drive a Caddy or a Pacer-
Either will get you there

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET