Are Those Shock Absorber buffer/Washer pieces in Handguns Really Necessary?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Are Those Shock Absorber buffer/Washer pieces in Handguns Really Necessary?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 03:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Are Those Shock Absorber buffer/Washer pieces in Handguns Really Necessary?

I have been noticing alot people have been adding those Shock Absorber buffer/Washer Pieces in there Handguns Semiautos. Just wondering do they really reduce wear all that much i would imagine they would give you a noticeable result over time. But like in a 1911 or Glock do you think they really give you something extra as in reduce wear. I mean i know slide bangs on the frame pretty harshly and over time i could see how they would work it's like a bumper
Your Opinion?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2012, 03:34 AM   #2

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

My grandfather's Colt was made in 1912. It wasn't a safe queen, it was his daily carry and regular shooter. My dad has it now, and it's probably rusting in the top of his closet.

What I'm getting at is, a good quality handgun should last just damn near indefinitely with regular PM, regardless of the latest and greatest doo dads and gee gaws.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:13 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5995 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 428

completely unneccessary. in fact its just the opposite of what is claimed. the recoil springs in handguns are designed to fully cycle. if the spring doesnt fully compress because a "shokbuffer" is present more recoil forces are imparted to the frame because the spring is not taking the pounding. that energy HAS to go somewhere. not to mention if one decides to come apart and migrate around the internals.

if a handgun cracks under normal use it was defective to begin with or just a crappy design (US military M9 berretas for one example) and no amount of gimmicky stuff is going to prevent that. if it isnt defective then it will liekly outlast the owner.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-06-2012, 04:30 AM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2335 Times on 1257 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Never seen anything like that, but can't say it sounds like a good idea.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 01-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3110 Times on 1787 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

IMO, just another way to get your money.

Most of the time, if the recoil spring is changed at a regular interval, such a thing as the "shock buffer" is not needed.

I've seen where some have relied on the shock buffer and had it come apart in competition, locking up the handgun.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #6

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I tend to put slightly heavier springs in my 1911s. In the past I have used the plastic buffers, but I have gone back to the spring loaded plunger in the recoil spring guide. They were available in the ‘70s and I haven’t seen them much since. Unlike the shockbuff, the spring plunger lets the slide recoil the full distance.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I hear those buffers mess your gun up; at least it did with that Glock