Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Are Those Shock Absorber buffer/Washer pieces in Handguns Really Necessary? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/those-shock-absorber-buffer-washer-pieces-handguns-really-necessary-54880/)

CAMCHAMPION1988 01-06-2012 02:22 AM

Are Those Shock Absorber buffer/Washer pieces in Handguns Really Necessary?

I have been noticing alot people have been adding those Shock Absorber buffer/Washer Pieces in there Handguns Semiautos. Just wondering do they really reduce wear all that much i would imagine they would give you a noticeable result over time. But like in a 1911 or Glock do you think they really give you something extra as in reduce wear. I mean i know slide bangs on the frame pretty harshly and over time i could see how they would work it's like a bumper
Your Opinion?

trip286 01-06-2012 02:34 AM

My grandfather's Colt was made in 1912. It wasn't a safe queen, it was his daily carry and regular shooter. My dad has it now, and it's probably rusting in the top of his closet.

What I'm getting at is, a good quality handgun should last just damn near indefinitely with regular PM, regardless of the latest and greatest doo dads and gee gaws.

JonM 01-06-2012 03:13 AM

completely unneccessary. in fact its just the opposite of what is claimed. the recoil springs in handguns are designed to fully cycle. if the spring doesnt fully compress because a "shokbuffer" is present more recoil forces are imparted to the frame because the spring is not taking the pounding. that energy HAS to go somewhere. not to mention if one decides to come apart and migrate around the internals.

if a handgun cracks under normal use it was defective to begin with or just a crappy design (US military M9 berretas for one example) and no amount of gimmicky stuff is going to prevent that. if it isnt defective then it will liekly outlast the owner.

ScottA 01-06-2012 03:30 AM

Never seen anything like that, but can't say it sounds like a good idea.

danf_fl 01-06-2012 10:07 AM

IMO, just another way to get your money.

Most of the time, if the recoil spring is changed at a regular interval, such a thing as the "shock buffer" is not needed.

I've seen where some have relied on the shock buffer and had it come apart in competition, locking up the handgun.

Clem 01-06-2012 01:19 PM

I tend to put slightly heavier springs in my 1911s. In the past I have used the plastic buffers, but I have gone back to the spring loaded plunger in the recoil spring guide. They were available in the ‘70s and I haven’t seen them much since. Unlike the shockbuff, the spring plunger lets the slide recoil the full distance.

Glockpotion23 01-07-2012 04:56 PM

I hear those buffers mess your gun up; at least it did with that Glock:o