Thinking of purchasing the S&W Governor .45. Any thoughts?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Thinking of purchasing the S&W Governor .45. Any thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Thinking of purchasing the S&W Governor .45. Any thoughts?

I like the idea of a 6 shot revolver that can handle .45 acp. 45 Colt and .410 shot shells. Any experience with the Governor out there?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3105 Times on 1784 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

I've seen one Taurus Judge come through.

The guy bought it for his Grandma.

Other who have bought such a setup did not keep it for long.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #3

Liked 125 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Are you sure about them being able to handle the rimless 45acp round? I know they'll shoot the 45 Colt and 410 shotgun shell. I guess if you hiked in snake country a lot then the shotshell would be a neat idea.

This is the War Room!"

Old 12-31-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2334 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 842

It would make a heck of a snake gun. That said, I think there are "better" revolvers out there. My go-to choice for a revolver would be any Ruger or Smith 357. If you want shot for places where you might encounter snakes, you can get snake shot rounds for them.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 12-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I have had my governor for about a year and a half. It will shoot all three, as it uses moonclips for the auto. The clips were a bit tight at firts, but use has helped that a lot. I need to contact S&W, as it will send a bit of lead back every so often. Shows that you do need eye protection. Even with that, I like the gun. Not the most acurate gshooter, but nor am I.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

my opinion just get a ruger new vaquero or a blackhawk in 45acp/45colt shotgun shells out of a revolver in 410 is pretty useless. there are shotshells in 45colt and 45 acp if you really want to use birdshot.

your paying much more for a not so good quality gun than if you spent the money on a real 45acp/45colt revolver.

if you want one for shts and giggles and just want a fun shooter go for it. just dont expect much more than that.

just my feelings on it not trying to offend those that have em.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-31-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2334 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
your paying much more for a not so good quality gun than if you spent the money on a real 45acp/45colt revolver.
I wouldn't question S&W's quality, I just have a hard time finding a purpose for one.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 01-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6561 Times on 3657 Posts
Likes Given: 6204

I have no need for one, since I handload shot for my Colt .45 Anaconda.

But I'd choose it over the Taurus.

Should be an awesome "barn gun" for a farmer.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill