thinking of a new handgun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > thinking of a new handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2905 Times on 1675 Posts
Likes Given: 1256

With your being new to handguns, have you considered a revolver?

Plenty of BANG, without too much buck.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #12

Liked 2471 Times on 1604 Posts

Handgun for what? Ruger .22 revolver or semi autos are hard to beat. Smith revolvers are good starters in centerfire, as with rugers. If u go with a centerfire semi auto I would try Ruger, smith, or what feels right.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 02-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, new gun buyer... been doing this since 1967 or so- speaking from my personal experience, the Hi-Point .40 and 9mm arent that great. Kind of like a one use pistol... it's good they are there for those who cannot afford the money or time to wait and buy something else. Realise that H-P has zip resale value, and may function ONLY with full metal jackets or "solid points". Speaking from personal experience here. If you are going to get it to have it, shoot a couple times and then throw it in a tackle box, fine. You want one you can use and depend on over time....
If possible, look around and do some internet research on whatever catches your interest. Like the other guy said, you might want to consider a revolver first, maybe a double-action Ruger or Smith .357 4 inch.. Good for practice, practical carry and use. Maybe a Taurus in 4 inch .357? Learn your weapon.. a .357 can also use .38 special as a practice round or even with high velocity .38 hollow-points.. as well as .357 of various types. Very adaptable. You COULD consider a single action Western-style revolver but from the sound of it you want something a bit quicker firing and reloading. The double-action revolver allows the use of speed-loaders which enable you *with practice* to stay in the game.
You might want to take some hand-gun safety and shooting classes once you do get your gun- it will help you increase your proficiency and your gun "savvy" and has been worth doing for myself. Plus you MIGHT meet some cool contacts worth getting to know.
45 years ago <yikes> my first pistol was a Ruger MkI .22 auto, graduated to a Ruger Old Army and then a .38 and then a Colt Python.. Got into the Colt 45 auto and was hooked on Autos...and the disease spread and got progressively worse as i had to buy and become familiar with beaucoup pistols and revolvers.. eventually settled into a couple of revolvers and autos like the High Power Brownings and Walther P38 and on and on and on.... Finally, I have arrived at the point you seem to have arrived at already! The Springfield XD .45 or the XDm, either/or with the XDm running a hundred or more bucks than the XD, they use the same mags and both outshine the G***k and give the Colt Combat Commander a good run for the money. Unlike the block it has a grip safety which provides that extra margin should something go terribly wrong while holstering or God forbid you drop it... It is the first and only plastic I have ever considered buying after shooting a buddy's XD and was a day or so away from getting my own and Something Else showed up which put the auto on the sidelines.
My professional experience and particular personal knowledge says "Get the auto", learn it and go from there. Good luck, God bless and happy shooting!

Last edited by DunRanull; 02-15-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #14

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I picked up my first handgun in September, and after narrowing my choices to the S&We sigma or Ruger P95, I ended up with a Ruger SR9C. It was more comfortable in my hand and gave me a few options if I ever decide to carry it. I walked out of the shop with it spending around $430. I'm very happy with it, and it goes bang every time. Eventually I may step up to the SR40 for the larger size, but there are other guns I want to buy first. Figure out what your budget is, then go to the shop and find out what fits the best within your budget.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcooley View Post
Thank you all for your help I think I will save for the xdm 45 I'm not hearing vary good things about the high point I em still open to other ideas my price range is no more then 600 $ right now
Excellent choice with XDm, you'll love that gun. My XDm9 is awesome...accurate, reliable, and well...looks badass

Unless you're dead set on the 45 I would recommend the 9mm for your first gun.

Cheaper ammo means more range time.

It should be easier to learn the fundamentals with a 9mm over a 45 also.

There are some good options for 9mm defensive ammo if you need it and with 19+1 capacity it's a pretty formidable weapon in the right hands.

Just my 2 cents.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 02-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

IMHO, a revolver makes for a better first handgun. Lots of choices. The Ruger SP101 and GP100 are good values.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2871 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 302

I tend to lean toward the revolver camp. But the XDm is actually a pretty good choice as well. The 9 mm suggestion is also worth considering.

I would also like to add that you should visit the new member's section and tell us about yourself. If nothing else, it will help us help you.
Do you have ANY firearms experience? If not, I strongly recommend that you consider a basic handgun class before buying anything.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 02-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Just got my wife a Glock 19 (9mm). Sweetest shooting gun I have shot in a long time. Easy to field strip and clean and is great for her. About $500 with case and 2 mags.dsc00181.jpg

Old 02-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
IMHO, a revolver makes for a better first handgun. Lots of choices. The Ruger SP101 and GP100 are good values.
I'm not sure I subscribe to this school of thought but perhaps I'm missing some key information? Both revolvers and semi-autos require safe handling knowledge and practice as well as basic handgun training and knowledge of your specific handgun.

IMHO a semi-auto is an easier handgun to use so I'm not really sure why it's not a good choice for a first handgun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Do you have ANY firearms experience? If not, I strongly recommend that you consider a basic handgun class before buying anything.
+ infinity to this^^^

KingCooley- just for reference I also have a S&W M&P40 and Glock40 and the Glock is my least favorite of the the 3. The M&P40 is the most comfortable handgun I've held but the XDm9 is a great shooter! It's all personal preference so you gotta go hold em/shoot em to see what YOU like the best. Many ranges have a good selection of guns you can rent to see what you like.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by ZeusEcho; 02-16-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:05 AM   #20

Well today I went to my local gun store and put the xd 9 on payment plan I em vary happy with it I took 2 hrs to decide that was what I wanted I also signed up for a ccw and basic handgun safety class wish me luck