Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   thinking of a new handgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/thinking-new-handgun-57754/)

kingcooley 02-15-2012 01:50 AM

thinking of a new handgun

I'm looking at buying my first handgun and someone told me to get a highpoint 45 any advice

MrWray 02-15-2012 02:00 AM

What is your spending limit and what do you plan to use the gun for?

Powersportgiant 02-15-2012 02:02 AM

I'm not an expert by any means. But if you have more money to spend, get something, anything else.

Charyoutree 02-15-2012 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingcooley
I'm looking at buying my first handgun and someone told me to get a highpoint 45 any advice

I have no first-hand experience with Highpoints, but what I've seen and heard is that they are not too easily field stripped (for cleaning). In the concealed handgun safety class I went through this weekend there were 5 or 6 people there with Highpoints that had no idea how to take them apart. The instructor had them all come up to the front table and showed them how all at one time. It took 15 or 20 minutes and my impression was "Why go through that?"

A bit more money, but "newbie-friendly", I suggest a Glock. Easy to maintain (break down and clean) and can take a beating and still go bang. Just by reading through the owners manual I learned how o field strip and clean it in about 10 minutes. With only a little practice, I can have the gun ready for cleaning in less than 15 seconds and have it cleaned and reassembled in about 3 or 4 minutes (a few minutes longer if I've been shooting dirty ammo).

That being said, go handle different guns at your local gun store and find out which you like best--what fits your hand best, which has the right weight and balance for you, which one you like the look of best. A handgun is a very personal tool and you have to find what works best for you.

Good luck and good shooting!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Who watches the watchers?) --"Satires", Juvenal (Roman poet)

kingcooley 02-15-2012 02:11 AM

I em looking at the xdm 45 as well but it will take a bit longer to save for it

ScottA 02-15-2012 02:15 AM

Hi-Point is generally considered an iron brick of an inexpensive gun. They are heavy, ungainly, and butt ugly. However, they have withstood some pretty daunting torture tests.

Hi-Point wouldn't be on my buy list, but it depends on what your budget is. So what is your budget?

Gatoragn 02-15-2012 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingcooley (Post 708957)
I em looking at the xdm 45 as well but it will take a bit longer to save for it

This one is definitely worth saving and waiting for. Nothing wrong with an XD 45 either, although the XDm has some nice additional features.

ScottA 02-15-2012 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatoragn (Post 708967)
This one is definitely worth saving and waiting for. Nothing wrong with an XD 45 either, although the XDm has some nice additional features.

Most definitely.

kingcooley 02-15-2012 03:56 AM

Thank you all for your help I think I will save for the xdm 45 I'm not hearing vary good things about the high point I em still open to other ideas my price range is no more then 600 $ right now

sweeper22 02-15-2012 04:01 AM

When it comes to common/service pistols you're going to get the best bang for your buck in the $300-600 price range...at least that's my opinion. And in that range about 90% of the choices from major manufacturers are really solid guns. Just figure out what fit and features suit you.