Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Thinking about the glock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Thinking about the glock

hello peeps, im new to this forum and had some thoughts. Im saving for a .40 cal, and the glock22 catches my eye. Heard great things bout the glock but some also some bad. So, what gun should i consider over the glock, but staying reasonable with price? must be comfy for ccw too

Last edited by StanDJ77; 07-24-2010 at 12:36 AM. Reason: forgottem info

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2010, 12:41 AM   #2

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Think about the Springfield XD line. Same polymer premise, many improvements.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:48 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Welcome to the FTF Community. Some of the folks would like to see you stop by the Introduction section and tell us a little about yourself. I will leave that decision up to you.

The Glock is not my favorite weapon, but for what it was designed to do ( go bang every time ) it's a very good choice, especially if it's your only self defense firearm.

Now, as for a CCW goes, it lacks a manual safety which I, personally, prefer for safety measures.

The Springfield XD is a similar platform, as is the Sigma that a couple of the folks here like.

The most important advice we can give you is to go to a range and rent to shoot a few different models. The weapon that feels best TO YOU is what you should get. If you buy what I like, you might not like it, and then you might not practice with it, which can be very detrimental to your health.

Go and shoot some, then tell us what you think!

JD

Old 07-24-2010, 01:02 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I was a die-hard Glock-hater for years (I like a hammer I can actually see and shunned striker-fired handguns) and finally caved and bought a G27. It's "ok" and I like it it but it will never be my main carry gun. The G22 would probably be more comfortable to shoot. My G27 has been relegated to keep the rest of the "queens" company in the safe but there are an awful lot of Glock lovers out there and I'm sure you'll be very happy with your choice. Like Dillinger, I like a manual safety.

In order to become the Master, a politician must act as a servant.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:10 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2279 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

+1 on trying different handguns. I can shoot a Sigma all day, but Glocks have a tendency to scrape the bottom of my trigger finger. Had one and sold it as soon as possible.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 07-24-2010, 01:20 AM   #6

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

One thing about Glocks is they have a unique grip angle - it works well for some folks and not others. The finger grooves on the later versions just do not work for me and I find them uncomfortable to shoot. As others have said - the only way to make a wise choice is to go to a range and rent various pistols. This is the ONLY way to find the gun(s) that work for you...

Old 07-24-2010, 01:23 AM   #7

i don't consider myself a glock hater, but not u huge fan. it really depends on what you are useing the gun for. if it will sit on the nightstand and occasional range session, i would reccomend a ruger p90. it's a very fair priced reliable gun, and hell it you can't shoot an invader then throw the thing at them and it will knock them unconsious. it is not at all concealable though. if you want one for both carry and home defence there are many that will hold you over untill your next one, and trust me there is always a next one. i agree on the manual safety also, i remember when my father first got into pistols, he shot the freakin house up a few times.lol. it's really not funny, but i learned about the importance of gun safety through his mistakes.luckily no one was ever hurt(except our ears). hold em, shoot em ,read up on them, and trade em in. that's the only way to really learn what you like to shoot/put your life on.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:00 AM   #8

Default Glocks

I like the Glock myself. I prefer the G19 for a lot of shooting, cheaper ammo and easier to control. I have a G22 and 27 and notice if I don't watch it I flitch waiting for the recoil. You might look at a Police Trade Ins you can get them cheap.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:46 AM   #9

Likes Given: 1

If I could only have one gun, it would be my Glock 19. Outside some steel guns, all the rest are pretenders to me.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:04 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Check out the Mod 22 Gen 4. It's been a very good seller since it was introduced last winter and I like the way it fits better than my Gen 3.

But as stated earlier, the handgun should fit you like a nice pair of slippers and you'll know when it's right. You need to consider length of pull, weight, and balance. Good Luck with your upcoming purchase.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.