Thinking about buying a used pistol.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Thinking about buying a used pistol.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Thinking about buying a used pistol.

So, i've heard some people saying that you can find really good deals sitting outside at a gun show and striking up a conversation with a stranger. My question is about the legality of the whole situation. What if i buy a gun used in a criminal act of some kind? Is there a way i can run the serial # before i buy one. Also is even legal to do a "gun deal" on the street or in a parking lot like that? I've grown up around firearms so guns in public are nothing new. I've just always bought mine new so i wouldn't have to worry about these things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1170 Times on 762 Posts
Likes Given: 695

In NY no it's illegal. Transaction has to take
Place inside the gunshow. But meeting some one in a park or public lot is fine. At this time it's on you and the seller to abide by the rules.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

In MS and many freer states, it is perfectly legal to buy a privately-held firearm from an individual prettymuch anywhere that firearm is legal to possess.

\

Quote:
Originally Posted by suptra25 View Post
Is there a way i can run the serial # before i buy one.
Not unless you have a reeeeally accomodating police officer friend. The BATFers only want the police running them as part of "active investigations".

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #4

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

This could vary from State to State and even County to County. I would check with your local law enforcement or Attorney General as a "CYA" procedure.

I know in Florida you can sell a gun to anyone on a handshake without even writing a bill of sale. I would never sell one without a bill of sale and an ID from both parties just to protect everyone involved but it is legal to do so.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:28 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysKelly

I know in Florida you can sell a gun to anyone on a handshake without even writing a bill of sale.
This is also legal in Georgia.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:50 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

IMHO you do get a better value purchasing used. Do not try to buy on the street unless you are looking for trouble. The few dollars that you might save will only bring you grief later. Buy on the up and up and be sure that your purchase is legal.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:00 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well i figured today id go straight to the source. So i called my local sheriff's office and they told me that as soon as i can get the serial number to call and ask for dispatch and they have the capabilities to run the extended search on the firearm(s). They also applauded me for being so cautious. Thanks all, for the help.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #8

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by suptra25 View Post
Well i figured today id go straight to the source. So i called my local sheriff's office and they told me that as soon as i can get the serial number to call and ask for dispatch and they have the capabilities to run the extended search on the firearm(s). They also applauded me for being so cautious. Thanks all, for the help.
You should do this before you make the purchase. The only concern is if the gun was stolen. If it was and you are found in possession, you will certainly lose it. If the gun was used in any other crime, it would have come into police possession at some point. Police do not release firearms that have been involved in serious crimes. Most all are held as evidence, then destroyed. In spite of what politicians say, there are very few "bad guns" being sold at gun shows. The ATF is usually around such shows, and they monitor suspicious behavior and individuals quite closely.