Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Thinking about adding a handgun...........

View Poll Results: Small, concealable .357 magnum handgun
Ruger LCP 2 16.67%
Ruger LCR 6 50.00%
Other...... 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6155 Times on 3731 Posts
Likes Given: 7029

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I think you should step out from your comfort zone (revolvers) and look in to a semi-auto. Variety is the spice of life. My wife has an LCP and, while cuter than heck, it's pretty much useless for anything beyond personal protection.

And why all this talk about carrying if you're not going to be able to carry?

And I also submit that you would HATE a small .357...unless you're going to just shoot .38 Special through it. But you won't enjoy shooting .357 through a small, light revolver, I promise you.
I am guessing that sometime in the future, Illinois residents will be able to carry. Someday Illinois is going to realize that we are not right and the other 49 states wrong about conceal carry. I have a large revolver (GP100) and a Mark II that is scoped and truly only a target gun. I guess I could shoot small game with it but I have no desire to shoot anything other than inanimate targets.

I would like a small gun that is easy to carry on my person in my home or to keep in a little nook or cranny somewhere. The GP100 (6" barrel) is hard to conceal on a shelf behind some books or to hide in your hand when you answer the door. She's a big 'un.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 11-13-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #12

Liked 1949 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

I'm in love with my GP100!!! Forgot to add...Ruger has an additional grip style, a bull grip...(again, don't quote me) I think it's called. It's supposed to be easier to draw from a pocket than the hogue but I haven't had my meathooks on it yet, there is a good review on youtube, I'll try to dig it up for ya...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 11-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6155 Times on 3731 Posts
Likes Given: 7029

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
I'm in love with my GP100!!! Forgot to add...Ruger has an additional grip style, a bull grip...(again, don't quote me) I think it's called. It's supposed to be easier to draw from a pocket than the hogue but I haven't had my meathooks on it yet, there is a good review on youtube, I'll try to dig it up for ya...
If you're implying you can carry your GP100 in your pocket, that I'd like to see!!

I worry about the hammer making a gun difficult to pull out of a pocket rather than the grips. That's what I like about the LCR.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #14

Liked 1949 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

Haaa!! I was talking about the LCR but now you've got me thinkin' GP100 deep conceal...that would be something!!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 11-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #15

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Woc,

I have to agree with Lon here, why the rush to get a gun that you cannot use for its only real purpose and one that you will not enjoy at the range? Just my opionion but if you have an itch that needs scratching why not use the opportunity to venture out of your comfort zone and test drive a semi-auto. There are many small frame choices in 9mm that would be easily concealed when the time comes yet would currently offer you some fun at the range.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 987 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

Ever taken a look at the LC9 ? just a tad bigger than the .380 easy enough to conceal , I wouldnt call it a pocket gun but I suppose you could ,

Old 11-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 185 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
What I like about the LCR over the SP101 is the LCR has an internal hammer. You could pull it out of a pocket or fanny pack and it won't get hung up.
My suggestion was also going to be an SP101. It's the perfect compact compliment to anyone who already bases much of their experience off of the GP100 platform.

While I do prefer auto loaders, I'd take 357m/38sp over 380acp eight days a week. Without wasting time rambling about power, it's just a whole lot more versatile round with countless practical applications. Having a 2.25" SP101 myself, I have to echo Scott's sentiments about not wanting to shoot 357JHPs out of any frame lighter than that.

And BTW- The SP101 is not only offered in multiple barrel lengths, but it's available with an internal hammer:

Old 11-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #18
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1908 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
What I like about the LCR over the SP101 is the LCR has an internal hammer. You could pull it out of a pocket or fanny pack and it won't get hung up.
Ruger has already solved that for you.

Ruger® SP101® Double-Action Revolver Model 5720

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 11-11-2011, 10:27 PM   #19
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5692 Times on 3341 Posts
Likes Given: 4847

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
And I also submit that you would HATE a small .357...unless you're going to just shoot .38 Special through it. But you won't enjoy shooting .357 through a small, light revolver, I promise you.
Seconded. Less barrel necessitates more and squishier grip, preferably with tamer ammo.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 11-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #20
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1259 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 443

I have an SP101 in 357. The factory grips are not great. I replaced mine with the Crimson Trace LG111 laser grips. I dont have much trouble controlling it with 125 grn mags. 158 grn mags are more of a handful but still controllable. I also had the trigger worked over. It is a DAO and on my belt right now.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.