Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Thinking about adding a handgun........... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/thinking-about-adding-handgun-51592/)

winds-of-change 11-11-2011 08:41 AM

Thinking about adding a handgun...........

So, let's just say I want to buy a new gun. I really like the LCP and the LCR in .357 magnum format. I like the LCR as it is hammerless and I really like revolvers. It would be nice to have something I could carry in a pocket but would pack a punch. (No, I am not going to carry it as it is illegal in my state. But let's just pretend that someday I may be able to conceal carry.)

I would like to hear pro's and con's for each of these guns. I have a special fondness for revolvers but I am not opposed to semi-auto's.

What else would you suggest I take a look at that you think might be better than either of these two. I would like a .357 magnum and I would like it to be concealable. Some sort of snubbie, maybe? Give me your opinions and even more importantly, your experiences.

danf_fl 11-11-2011 09:22 AM

I went with the revolver. You have experience already with the revolver in .357.
Your ammo needs will still be only 2 calibers (.22lr and .38Special / .357 mag).

Firearms4ever 11-11-2011 11:34 AM

I agree with Dan, but I also recommend you go to some local gun shops to look at their inventory and see what fits the bill.

ScottA 11-11-2011 11:49 AM

I have a Ruger SP101 .357. I cannot imagine firing .357 in anything lighter and smaller than the SP101. Frankly, after the first shot I doubt I could put any others close to on target due to the excessive recoil and flip.

PanBaccha 11-11-2011 11:59 AM

If you're interested in shooting 45, 410, and 000 shotshell
from same revolver, then I would look into the Taurus
Public Defender. See below:

http://youtu.be/ttFslPwNEuc
http://youtu.be/JYchEMw1pT4

griffin81 11-11-2011 12:00 PM

I have a LCR .357 mag. And I have to say for a close range concealable pistol it's awesome. I like how light it is. The Houge grip being places high on the back of the gun makes a huge difference. Not a gun I'd want to shoot everyday with magnums but no where near the recoil of muzzle flip you would expect out of a really light weight revolver. I would buy again. My only dislike it the factory front sight but that is easily changeable. Best of luck go handle a lot of revolvers I looked at them all and the LCR fit the bill for me. If anyone has there doubts about this revolver, I have one they can shoot as long as the want to drive to Arkansas and pick up a box of shells.

play the victim, be the victim

vincent 11-11-2011 02:07 PM

I have significant experience with both, and both are great. The LCR is a handful in .357, not a range gun but more up close and personal. However if you shoot .38, it's a lot easier to tame, it'll take +P ammo as well. Not great for concealment in the pocket but anywhere else is fine, fanny pack, ankle, purse. The trigger is a lot smoother and lighter out of the box than say the Smith M+P or most DAO snubbies I've had my paws on. Uber-easy to clean and Ruger has a great service dept. should you ever need it. The LCP or LCLC (lightweight compact lint collector) is also great. For me personally, my mitts are just a bit too big for it and that makes it difficult to have an even trigger pull...but that's me (6'1, 200). The pull is a long one but is easily staged once you get to know it. Perfect for pocket conceal with a good holster. The .380 is "snappy" but super fun to shoot and it's quite accurate if you take the time to get to know it. The one thing I don't like is the slide does not lock back after the last round so try to get good at counting your shots. Can't think of what mag. capacity it comes with, 10 maybe, but extensions are available to 13...(don't quote me, I only own the LCR) If you're fond of revolvers, I'd say go for it, great investment. If you prefer more capacity and super deep concealment, LCP, either way, you just can't go wrong!! The M+P is very similar except when it comees to price ( 2-300 more) but that dang trigger pull...I can't really think of a poly-revolver that compares to either but I know they're out there. Hope that helps!!!:)

IGETEVEN 11-11-2011 02:22 PM

Either the Ruger SP101 or the LCR. :cool:

Everyone else already gave the same pro/cons reasons I would have, and it would just be repetitiveness to type my own. YMMV

winds-of-change 11-11-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA (Post 624920)
Not great for concealment in the pocket but anywhere else is fine, fanny pack, ankle, purse.

I would carry in either a pocket or a fanny pack. I was always told to carry in a purse is to arm a purse snatcher and that makes sense to me. Not to mention I don't really carry a purse and even if I did, there's always 'crap' at the bottom of a purse. I want it on my person.

What I like about the LCR over the SP101 is the LCR has an internal hammer. You could pull it out of a pocket or fanny pack and it won't get hung up.

Besides, I think that LCR is one SWEET looking gun.

But I wouldn't mind an LCP, either.

lonyaeger 11-11-2011 02:57 PM

I think you should step out from your comfort zone (revolvers) and look in to a semi-auto. Variety is the spice of life. My wife has an LCP and, while cuter than heck, it's pretty much useless for anything beyond personal protection.

And why all this talk about carrying if you're not going to be able to carry?

And I also submit that you would HATE a small .357...unless you're going to just shoot .38 Special through it. But you won't enjoy shooting .357 through a small, light revolver, I promise you.