Texas Trooper - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Texas Trooper

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,087
Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Default

2 miles over the speed limit? WTF!? This sure ain't the land of Ozzie & Harriet anymore.
__________________
PanBaccha is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
NotMormon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ogden,Utah
Posts: 413
Liked 163 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Default

You can get pulled over for going .01 mph over the posted speed limit.....that's just to say they "legally" can pull you over and 99.9% of the time it's just to run your info and get ya for other naughty stuff that you have done or have not taken care of. And sometimes the PD's and HP's need a little extra revenue.

With the shenanigans happening with DUI checkpoints being declared "unconstitutional" or a form of "entrapment" in some areas, I would suspect that LE tactics will morph into this more and more. This is all speculation on my part of course.

__________________
NotMormon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pasco Cty.FL
Posts: 6,642
Liked 2544 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMormon View Post
You can get pulled over for going .01 mph over the posted speed limit.....that's just to say they "legally" can pull you over and 99.9% of the time it's just to run your info and get ya for other naughty stuff that you have done or have not taken care of. And sometimes the PD's and HP's need a little extra revenue.

With the shenanigans happening with DUI checkpoints being declared "unconstitutional" or a form of "entrapment" in some areas, I would suspect that LE tactics will morph into this more and more. This is all speculation on my part of course.
We call it a LEO "fishing expedition". If these guys bother you,

I would heartily advise you to stay out of Georgia, because they have

perfected some scams which will pick your pocket, and leave you about

as aggravated as you can be, and still drive. I imagine their tourism

volume is about zero, because I couldn't afford to drive two for hours

in that state.

In Florida, you are not required to tell a LEO you have CCW permit

or gun in the car, unless they ask you.
__________________
therewolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 103
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf

We call it a LEO "fishing expedition". If these guys bother you,

I would heartily advise you to stay out of Georgia, because they have

perfected some scams which will pick your pocket, and leave you about

as aggravated as you can be, and still drive. I imagine their tourism

volume is about zero, because I couldn't afford to drive two for hours

in that state.

In Florida, you are not required to tell a LEO you have CCW permit

or gun in the car, unless they ask you.
I would still inform them but always know the law as well as or better than the Leo it makes it interesting
__________________
rebelcowboy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:08 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 474
Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default

My wife and I ran a Conoco station in Pampa, Texas around about 1980 and I learned quickly that driving the speed limit was a good idea. Thing is that every little town has a Justice of the Peace and the state police like to keep them busy. I got a ticket one time and the LEO told me to drive to the next town to pay it off ASAP.

__________________
Viking is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: gilmer,texas
Posts: 1,019
Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Default

Really odd that you were pulled over for 2 miles over the limit! Consensus of opinion here is that they will give you a little leeway, generally 5 to 9 MPH.

Of course, Texas has it's share of those that'll harass you, but they will normally also be unethical enough to lie about your speed.

__________________
gollygee is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee
Really odd that you were pulled over for 2 miles over the limit! Consensus of opinion here is that they will give you a little leeway, generally 5 to 9 MPH.

Of course, Texas has it's share of those that'll harass you, but they will normally also be unethical enough to lie about your speed.
Yeah I probably would have asked for a calibration receipt and fought the ticket.
Although you double verified the speed and only got a warning so...why bother.
__________________

I don't need No stinking signature.

mountainman13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #18
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
robocop10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas, by God!!
Posts: 10,182
Liked 2846 Times on 1485 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Default

The requirement to inform of CHL status does still exist, they just removed the penalty for failure to do so. The Troopers were probably on a special assignment to generate numbers. Warnings count the same as "keepers". Kind of a fishing expedition, yes. Legit stop, fully expecting 95% to get warnings. 5% are drunk or have the smell of burnt marihuana developing PC for more. CHL helps. I know that you have gone through pretty extensinve background checks and are generally one of the "good guys".

__________________

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

robocop10mm is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #19
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Default

That's one hell of a point. It's almost firearm owner registration if you look at it that way.

__________________

I don't need No stinking signature.

mountainman13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
boomenshutzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerfudge View Post
Strange - there was a discussion in CCL class about that and we were told it was not a requirement. That was a couple years ago. Oh well. Good to know...
It's not a requirement if you aren't carrying "on or about your person". So if your sidearm is in your trunk or at home you don't have to produce your CHL. Nor do your passengers unless the LEO asks for ID and they're packing.
__________________

-- boomenshutzen

"If some monster tries to rape or murder a woman I care about, I don’t want him to see the flickering light of a candle. I want him to see a muzzle flash, from the front." -- Massad Ayoob

boomenshutzen is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
More Trooper pix NGIB Revolver Handguns 7 11-05-2009 07:41 PM
State Trooper Allred harassing me on my land!?? badarmybrad Politics, Religion and Controversy 23 09-15-2009 10:57 PM
i think i robbed somebody?colt trooper 200.00+more m72law Revolver Handguns 29 05-12-2009 05:19 PM
2 updates: Jack, and new State Trooper bobbyb13 The Club House 14 04-03-2009 02:45 AM
Colt Trooper MKV .357 Magnum Sights sspbrad Revolver Handguns 5 11-12-2008 02:19 AM