Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Texas Trooper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Default Texas Trooper

So, the bride and I were driving from Fortress Joshua to Colorado Springs the other day. Up in the panhandle, came upon 4 Troopers and Sheriff doing tag team on speeders. I'd been running about 77 (70 zone) and dialed back the cruise control to 72. A couple mile up the road another Trooper going the other direction flipped and turned on his lights. Huh?

Got out the insurance papers, my license and my CCL. He introduced himself and said that he had me doing 72 in a 70 zone and I said yep, that what my speedometer and GPS both said.

I handed him my stuff and told him as a courtesy (not required in Texas) that I was carry a concelled weapon. He said OK and handed back my CCL and insurance papers and went back to his car. He came back and gave me my license and a warning ticket. Then he asked me what I was carrying (Glock 26). He just smiled.

Not the first time that I've been stopped. Last time was in early 80's. But it was the first time for going 2 mph over the limit. Probably first time I ever had a warning ticket.

Texas Damnit
2nd Place Medalist - SE Asia War Games (1971-72)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Interesting story. I think cops like people with CCL's. buddy of mine up in el dorado hills in nor cal had his CCL and was cruising down the freeway and got pulled over for speeding. Handed the officer his license and CCL, cop took one look at it, handed it back to him, and said "Have a nice day!"

Old 04-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #3

Liked 198 Times on 137 Posts

I got pulled over one time because my dakota looked like one they were looking for. After the officer and his partner approached either side of my truck i told them i had a handgun permit and currently had two handguns in the truck. My bersa was in the door since i had carried it last and my 1911 was behind the seat against the wall (reg cab truck).

I leaned up against the wheel and allowed them to retrieve my pistols and got my papers and cdl.

After seating there for like 20 minutes they returned to my truck, the lead officer gave me my now unloaded bersa back along with the 8 round mag and the loose round that was chambered. Then he said in a stern serious voice, "I should keep this .45!" Ill admit for a second my blood began to boil because i know its completely 100% legal to own here in Indiana and know it wasnt stolen as i bought 3 years earlier at a local reputable dealer. So I asked, "And why would you do that?"

The officer said, "Because I like it!" While smiling. He then offered to buy it on the spot for 350 bucks, wow i only paid 300 for it and it showing a little holster wear. I turned him down saying i really like my .45 and i appreciated his offer. He said if you follow me to my bank 4 miles up the road i can get the from the atm.

Thats the first time thats ever happened to me.

I know alot of people who say its not required to inform leos that your packing but in my opinion if you show them that you are a down to earth person who cares about thier safety it helps out. Ive drove off with warnings (written or verbal) when i probably shouldve gotten tickets because of this policy. I tend to speed a little, well in my personal vehicles a least.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 04-30-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #4

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

QUOTE=dragunovsks;786352]I know alot of people who say its not required to inform leos that your packing but in my opinion if you show them that you are a down to earth person who cares about thier safety it helps out. Ive drove off with warnings (written or verbal) when i probably shouldve gotten tickets because of this policy. I tend to speed a little, well in my personal vehicles a least.[/QUOTE]

I've been pulled over twice since I got my permit. I have my licence and my permit in my left hand when they walk up and my right hand on the wheel. I polity inform them that I have a permit and that gun is in/not in the car. I know you're not required to here, but I can imagine I would be a little upset if I had to find out from the computer if I were an officer.

Both times I was let off with a warning. Before I got my permit I've only even gotten a warning once.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It makes things go faster when they r told u have a ccw and inform them u r packing cause when they r informed they usually don't worry about u as much

Old 04-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2201 Times on 1130 Posts
Likes Given: 196

72 in a 70 seems a bit petty, at least by itself. I can only assume that something about you or your vehicle piqued his curiosity for some reason.

NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 04-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #7

I dont think it is the ccw they like. Athough after seeing the permit they know you are not a felon. I think after hearing every excuse you can imagine. And dealing with every bad person you can think of. Day in and day out. A honest man is a breath of fresh air. And most likely deserve's a break. Only my opinion

Last edited by bcarroll; 04-30-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #8

Um, not to be a dick, but you should take another look at the CHL handbook. In Texas there *is* a duty to inform an officer if you are carrying.

GC §411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. (a) If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.
That sucks you were pulled over for going 2 over, though. Always thought there was a bit of a buffer. I passed a trooper on I-35 this morning like he was standing still and did the "pucker" when I saw him in my mirror. Luckily it was going 2 under the speed limit. It was Austin and everyone else was creeping along so it felt like I was speeding. Ha!

-- boomenshutzen

"If some monster tries to rape or murder a woman I care about, I don’t want him to see the flickering light of a candle. I want him to see a muzzle flash, from the front." -- Massad Ayoob

Old 04-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
72 in a 70 seems a bit petty, at least by itself. I can only assume that something about you or your vehicle piqued his curiosity for some reason.
2011 Silver Nissan Versa. I doubt it.

Texas Damnit

Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomenshutzen View Post
Um, not to be a dick, but you should take another look at the CHL handbook. In Texas there *is* a duty to inform an officer if you are carrying.
GC §411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. (a) If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.
That sucks you were pulled over for going 2 over, though. Always thought there was a bit of a buffer. I passed a trooper on I-35 this morning like he was standing still and did the "pucker" when I saw him in my mirror. Luckily it was going 2 under the speed limit. It was Austin and everyone else was creeping along so it felt like I was speeding. Ha!
Strange - there was a discussion in CCL class about that and we were told it was not a requirement. That was a couple years ago. Oh well. Good to know...

Texas Damnit