Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2278 Times on 1194 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNabb11b View Post
Billings eh? thanks I will look into it. I was taught to shoot in the weaver stance but have since adopted both for whatever I basically feel like at the time. I have been told a couple of times that the weaver stance is sloppy and to abandon it altogether, but 9 times out of ten when the police are being shot at it seems they instinctively use this and abandon what they had been taught.
My understanding is the opposite. You tend to face your threat and go to an Isocoles.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #12

Yes true that you face the enemy, but you thrust your one offensive hand in his direction and let the other remain free, at least at first. I could be wrong, I have never shot at anyone before.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Billings eh? thanks I will look into it. I was taught to shoot in the weaver stance but have since adopted both for whatever I basically feel like at the time. I have been told a couple of times that the weaver stance is sloppy and to abandon it altogether, but 9 times out of ten when the police are being shot at it seems they instinctively use this and abandon what they had been taught.
That train of thought shows muscle memory. If you train properly, you develop muscle memory. Once that muscle memory has developed, nothing can corrupt it.

I learned to shoot a rifle early on in life. Later, I was studying Kenpo and shooting a lot of skeet. This developed a particular stance that my body instinctively fell back upon, as a long arm shooting and a weak side forward martial arts stance are so similar. As such, I developed a stance that puts my body at roughly a 45º angle to the target, with my arms bent at a little over a 90º angle.

That posture allows me to quickly clear leather and find my front sight with pistols and readily bring them to defensive (hidden) postures if necessary. It also allows me to quickly bring long arms from a 'ready arms' position to a muzzle on target position.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Use GunKata, young grasshopper, and all will be well......

Old 01-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #15

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
ALL TRAINING COURSES

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-01-2009, 02:02 AM   #16
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Best method it to shoot often and find a position that works best for you. It might be a prescribed method, somethig close to it or something different that works for you so you can hit center mass with the highest result. Even with all the possible advice if the time comes it's going to rereaction so shoot often.