Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Technique (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/technique-10333/)

McNabb11b 01-27-2009 05:43 AM

Technique

I am looking for tips and techniques for shooting, namely with handguns. I have a pretty solid rifle style but am always open for improvement. I am open to any help or references.

canebrake 01-27-2009 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McNabb11b (Post 65766)
I am looking for tips and techniques for shooting, namely with handguns. I have a pretty solid rifle style but am always open for improvement. I am open to any help or references.

Dig into it and research Jeff Cooper and the American Pistol Institute, aka The Gunsite Academy. May as well learn from the best!

robocop10mm 01-27-2009 02:06 PM

The Weaver stance is going out of favor these days even though many many people still use it. The Isocoles stance is coming back. You can research these two terms and find a stance that works for you.

Mark F 01-27-2009 02:42 PM

The scenario:

You're watching TV sitting on the couch with a bowl of popcorn in your lap and a Coors light in your hand. A Perp kicks your door wide open and storms in.

You should:

(A) shout "FREEZE AZZHOLE", while I get my gun and take the Weaver Stance"...

(B) Ask him to join you in a brew, then cap his azz when he's not looking...

(C) simply reach down, grab your cocked & locked and blow this turd into oblivion without spilling popcorn & beer all over yourself.

The point being; you need to be able to shoot from ANY position, ANY place. ANY time. Stances don't cut it except at the gunrange.

matt g 01-27-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 65787)
Dig into it and research Jeff Cooper and the American Pistol Institute, aka The Gunsite Academy. May as well learn from the best!

+1 to Col Jeff Cooper. Also, look for info from Massad Ayoob.

Dillinger 01-27-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 65844)
+1 to Col Jeff Cooper. Also, look for info from Massad Ayoob.

+1 and +1

I would also recommend the writings of Rob Pincus. Those three will teach you more than you ever needed to know about a gunfight and how to win one...

JD

ranger_sxt 01-27-2009 04:52 PM

Andy Stanford has some very strong information. So does Gabe Suarez.

Your best bet would be to find a class on shooting pistols in your area. I believe Suarez International is trying to arrange one in Billings sometime this summer.

SGT-MILLER 01-27-2009 07:15 PM

Go to youtube, and type in "Pistol Shooting" or "Pistol Stances" or "Gunfighting Stances"

That will give you a starting point. Remember that gunfighting is different for everyone. There is no cookie-cutter approach out there.

The best advice is practice, practice, practice, practice.

McNabb11b 01-27-2009 07:19 PM

Billings eh? thanks I will look into it. I was taught to shoot in the weaver stance but have since adopted both for whatever I basically feel like at the time. I have been told a couple of times that the weaver stance is sloppy and to abandon it altogether, but 9 times out of ten when the police are being shot at it seems they instinctively use this and abandon what they had been taught.

Dillinger 01-27-2009 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McNabb11b (Post 65888)
but 9 times out of ten when the police are being shot at it seems they instinctively use this and abandon what they had been taught.

I would say that be true for 10 times out of ten for ANYONE being shot at, especially for the first time. The human urge to make one self as small a silhoutte as possible is a strong reaction to have to untrain.

Use what works for you... I have been to two "combat pistol schools" and they both stressed that when you react, you are going to do what comes natural, at that moment and given those surroundings, and not something that was taught to you. Don't fight it, make it work for you and get your rounds on target first, or more accurately if you are already taking fire.

Worrying about where your feet should be, or how wide apart your elbows are, is going to get you drilled. :o

JD