Taurus warranty work - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Taurus warranty work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 03:14 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
So, BountyHunter, if I'm understanding your statement here, this means that Smith & Wesson is amongst the same bottom-feeding manufacturers that make low-quality junk as Taurus and the proof of this is because S&W offers the same type of guarantee as Taurus, correct?
No, the proof is the junk SW is shipping and calling "new" guns. If I wasn't thoroughly bored, I'd dig up the pictures I took documenting the defects that my new PC 627 came with.... that's a $1300 gun from the "performance center". It needed new parts, the side plate fitted, and the recoil shield milled and squared. But, hey, I'm sure I could have shipped it back and let the same gorillas who screwed it up the first time have another go at it. Instead I fixed it myself.

But I'll just give the summary: I'll never buy another new SW, although I might buy some more used ones that were made before the great junk infestation.

Last edited by bountyhunter; 10-03-2011 at 03:16 AM.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:42 AM   #22

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

FYI, before you send a SW in or buy a new one, here are two pictures I took from the brand new PC 627 I bought six months back:

The first one shows the trigger lever. Note it is deformed (it is a molded piece) but it has no ball on the end to mate with the socket in the rebound slide, just a jagged point. Some min wage moron took that lever and pinned it into the trigger and put it in a new gun. That ruined the RB slide as well.

The second picture should interest, I have seen it multiple times: the way they "adjust" barrel to cylinder gap is to take a mill file to the back of the barrel, which I wouldn't complain about except they don't even tape off the top strap they just chew away.

Notice the sharp edges left on the forcing cone, they actually sliced my finger when I touched it.

The gun had worse problems: the sideplate was fit so tight it could not be removed or installed without massive force. The worst was the recoil shield was not square to the cylinder face and was fit too close so the fired rounds dragged the shield and bound up when the cylinder tried to turn.

So I paid $1300 for a quality gun I couldn't shoot which needed about $400 worth of gunsmithing. I won't be buying any more new SWs.
triglever.jpg   barrel.jpg  

Old 11-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Update

I finally got my Taurus back last week after 3 months and 1 day. There was a little drama about what went down. So I had Bass Pro send it out. Kept calling Bass pro every couple weeks to see if it had come in. No. So finally after 2 months I thought I would call Taurus to check the status on the gun. At this time I even forgot I owned a Taurus. So they told me it had been sent out. 2 weeks after Bass Pro had sent it out!! WTF! So I call Bass Pro and they tell me Taurus sent a gun but it wasn't my gun. So I go back and forward with Bass Pro and Taurus for a couple more weeks and finally Taurus decided to send me a replacement gun. I WAS gonna just go out and sell it but when I realized how much I would get for it I figured I might as well keep it. So I took her to the range to day and fired 30 rounds through her. I only had a 50 box (shot the other 25 with my LCR) and 5 CorBon's I wanted to run through her to get a feel on how she shot with those. Well, she's performing good. But of course it's too early to tell. And to tell you the truth I'm beginning to fall for her again. She looks real nice and shoots good and feels good in the hand. Very accurate even in DA mode with the heavy as hell pull. My female friend I went with could barely pull it. LOL. I think it's around 11 lbs. Can't remember exactly. Anyway, Let's hope for a good long lasting relationship. I guess Taurus gets another chance with me. But i'll never buy another Taurus though. Just sayin.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:32 AM   #24

I bought a raging bull ss 8 inch barrel. What
a piece of $&@$. The cylinder rattles side to
side. Sent in for repair 2x. Sent back to me
same problem. Hopefully 3rd time is the charm.
If they don't fix it I'll ask for a refund, which
I'll probably not get.... $ 832 Long Island price.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:25 AM   #25

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

What everyone forgets about, is Taurus manufactures at a volume which is EXPONENTIALLY larger than any of the other major names.

Therefore, they will have more defects.

I've had problems with many new guns.

Taurus 24/7, Smith and Wesson 629, CZ550 Varmint, Sig 220.

Three of those you definitely don't expect any end user to have problems with.

The 629's cylinder latch siezes up. The cz has a laminated stock, which contacted the barrel, thereby not being a free floated barrel. The skank at CZ suggested that I use a fine sandpaper and do it myself. To which I replied "I didn't buy a $300 savage, and I sure as hell don't expect BS customer service on a $800 rifle" I hung up, and did it myself.
Me doing it wasn't the big issue. Tout yourself as a premium crafter, then be a low rent bitch on the phone to a customer who has a valid concern. There's my issue.

The Sig has awful FTF and FTE issues, even after 3 trips back to Sig.

ANYWAYS, back on OPs topic. Taurus has a big work load. Their turn around is on par, and sometimes faster than the top shelf manufacturers.
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 12-01-2011 at 05:28 AM.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:41 AM   #26

Colts anyone?

Old 12-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #27

Taurus is a big company, you are right about that
But, when I'm spending close to $1000 with
tax , I expect the gun to be fixed after 2
send backs. Their Quality Control Sucks.