Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Taurus warranty work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNstanger View Post
Has anybody had to send in their Taurus for warranty work? I sent out my M85 8 weeks ago and it's still not back. Another reason why Taurus will never get a cent from me ever. Just sayin
If it's any consolation, even the "premium" brands like SW have times that range from 3 days to many months. It depends on what the problem is, how busy they are and what "channel" it goes into. You should call and track it because the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
First time i sent in my taurus i waited over 6months to get it back...almost as long the second time around...didnt wait to find about the third time..i sold that POS and will never own another junk @$$ taurus ever again!!!
Main reason I learned gunsmithing was so I wouldn't be at the mercy of them. I am also reluctant to send a gun back to the same people who screwed it up the first time....

Old 10-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
If they built the guns better, they would not have a heavy work load.
Most of the gun makers simply do away with any kind of effective final QC and use their customers for it. They give you the warranty and figure that's the cheapest way (to let you find the problems). It's disgraceful.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
I had a buddy of mine send in a Taurus revolver and he had awesome service. All the work was preformed for free, he had back in 2 weeks from the day he sent it, and they even paid all the shipping costs...
That's the funny thing. Even with SW, you get posts like that (great service) all the way to posts like they took ten months and ruined the gun. makes me wonder if the lunatics are running the asylum there.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #15

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyhunter View Post
That's the funny thing. Even with SW, you get posts like that (great service) all the way to posts like they took ten months and ruined the gun. makes me wonder if the lunatics are running the asylum there.
Really depends on the shift and the supervisor. Some are hard asses and expect the gun fixed right and fast, with customer service being their priority, others want to hang out with their employee's and be buddies.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #16
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1274 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyhunter
Most of the gun makers simply do away with any kind of effective final QC and use their customers for it. They give you the warranty and figure that's the cheapest way (to let you find the problems). It's disgraceful.
The difference is that most gun manufacturers do not offer a lifetime warranty on every weapon they make, regardless of who owns it. Taurus has constantly stood behind every firearm they produced regardless of how the owner treated it, how many rounds were fired or how old it is.

Taurus, like every other company, can make mistakes. If you want your firearm back in a reasonable time, then your job is o stay on them! I would never let a company keep my property for 6 months without contacting my attorney. If you are told it will be 6-7 weeks, you call them in 7 weeks and 1 day. If they say three more weeks, you call in three weeks and one day. By the third call, you start talking to managers and vice presidents and giving them the names and dates of the people you talked to and what they promised - it's called being a consumer advocate. If you won't fight for yourself, you can hardly blame the company for making a mistake.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 10-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My Raging Bull came back in 3 weeks. On the Taurus forums there seems to be a recent trend toward significantly decreasing wait times. Lots of people are now getting guns back inside a week.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #18

My experience with free "lifetime" warranties is that the gun spends more time being worked on than it does with me. Of, course it doesn't cost anything, but I would rather pay a little more and get something that doesn't spend its life in the shop.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
The difference is that most gun manufacturers do not offer a lifetime warranty on every weapon they make, regardless of who owns it. Taurus has constantly stood behind every firearm they produced regardless of how the owner treated it, how many rounds were fired or how old it is.
Yeah, same song that Smith Wesson sings about the lifetime warranty but it completely misses my point.

I am not a fan of companies who fire their craftsmen, eliminate careful QA, and use their customers to "find" the defects in their products.

And as I have pointed out before, warranties are completely unrelated to quality. A lifetime warranty is designed to give the illusion something will "last forever" but it means nothing like that. It means a company has chosen to gain more "now" dollars against future expenses. They cut cost and save now by lowering quality standards and spend more in the future. Warranties are also a marketing tool to steal market shares from competitors.

The best example is Chrysler in 1980 on the verge of bankruptcy (taking a government loan to stay afloat) they trotted out the old 5 year/50,000 mile warranty and claimed they were making "the best cars ever". Then they upped it to a 7 year/70,000 mile warranty. In reality, they were building the WORST cars ever. The 2.2L engine and drive train were horrible, and nearly ever unit blew the headgasket (just a question of when) most failed in warranty, sadly mine not.

But, the plan to sucker in people to buy the cars raised enough quick money to pay off the loan and stay afloat.

Warranties don't mean jack, and lifetime warranties often mean they know they are shipping junk and do it to keep customers from running for the hills.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:05 AM   #20
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1274 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyhunter View Post
Yeah, same song that Smith Wesson sings about the lifetime warranty but it completely misses my point.
So, BountyHunter, if I'm understanding your statement here, this means that Smith & Wesson is amongst the same bottom-feeding manufacturers that make low-quality junk as Taurus and the proof of this is because S&W offers the same type of guarantee as Taurus, correct?

I personally have owned five Taurus handguns. One had to be returned to them after being involved in a high-speed car accident in which it was slammed extremely hard against the door pillar and damaged. Since I didn't feel this fell under normal wear-and-tear, I offered to pay for it. They returned it in three weeks with good wishes for my health and a zero invoice after doing extensive work to make sure the gun would be safe to use as a primary defense weapon. This was not an isolated incident, though, as I have known others that have owned more than one Taurus and been very happy with their fit and function for what they were purchased for. Most have never had to return them and the few that have are happy with the level of service.

I suppose that the scenario you propose could be a possibility, but it could also be a way for a South American gunmaker to instill confidence in a low price firearm to a population that equates high price with quality. It could also be a way for a manufacturer to instill confidence in an expensive purchase during one of the worst depressions in history when people are skitish of purchasing any expensive items. Since Taurus has been producing firearms for 70 years and has actually been an oerating forge longer than that, I don't think we have much of a threat of them disappearing and reneging on their promise to live up to their guarantee.

However, everyone is allowed their own opinion - I and those I know just have never had a bad experience working with Forjas Taurus and will probably continue to do so. If they have somehow angered you or others and you can find a firearm that works perfectly for you, it's better you use it. The one great thing about America is that we have so many choices!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)