Taurus TCP vs. Ruger LCP vs. Kel-tec P3AT
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Taurus TCP vs. Ruger LCP vs. Kel-tec P3AT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Taurus TCP vs. Ruger LCP vs. Kel-tec P3AT

I'm looking for a good pocket pistol. From what I've been able to find these three seem to be the best buys for the money, does anybody have any experience with any of these? If so, how good are they? Are there any others I missed that are as good or better for about the same money? I would prefer to go with .40 S&W for continuity of rounds but can't find anything that is that small. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

If you haven't shot a .40 pocket pistol - make sure you do before spending your money. Of the 3, the LCP would get my vote followed by the Kel-Tac...

Old 04-05-2011, 02:31 AM   #3

Forget the kel Tec. Even the KT customer service rep. told me that its a 50/50 chance on a lemon. Oh yeah, they said that when I called about the status of my 2nd return for service on my P3AT for jamming.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:46 AM   #4
AOK

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Personally I owned a P3AT but had stove pipes far to often to be able to depend on it as a BUG. I sold that and looked at the Ruger LCP and Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380. I ended up going with the S&W because it felt better in my hand, less felt recoil, it goes into slide lock, and has real sights. The biggest issue with this gun is the safety being hard to disengage but I don't use a safety so it doesn't matter to me. In addition some people aren't fond of the laser due to its location and some are harder than others to activate (I have no issue activating mine). The location doesn't really bother me because the likelihood of me using the laser is very minimal. The only time I'd use the laser is in low light conditions or for shooting in extremely awkward positions.

I've heard a lot of nice things about the TCP but have had no experience with them.

Best of luck in your decision and hopefully you find what works best for you.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have the LCP and it shot good. No failures. Bought for the wife because she liked the looks and feel but she don't like no more after shooting it She di not like the flip of that little booger. Thats the only reason I have a .380 but I would trust it as far as functioning.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #6

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukesDad View Post
I'm looking for a good pocket pistol. From what I've been able to find these three seem to be the best buys for the money, does anybody have any experience with any of these? If so, how good are they? Are there any others I missed that are as good or better for about the same money? I would prefer to go with .40 S&W for continuity of rounds but can't find anything that is that small. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I've got the Taurus 738 and happy with it, although it won't always feed the cheap Russian ammo from Cabella's. It does good with any of the name brand like Winchester, Federal, etc. I always carry it and am completely secure with it for what it's designed for. I carry it in hip pocket, one in the pipe, and have to issues except above.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:46 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I have the LCP and am happy with it. So far no problems whatsoever.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:09 AM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1971 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 586

I have a Kel-Tec P3AT with the finger extension on the mag. It is not a pleasant gun to shoot. Mine has had a couple of hundred rounds through it with no hiccups. Both hardball and XTPs. The PF9 I had was a jammer after several hundred rounds and a replaced main spring it still jammed so I traded it off. I went back to a P11 which has proven to be reliable. My first one Only had 1 failure to fire in over 6k rounds and it was a bad primer.
The best 380 I have fired was the Sig 238. Easy to control and pleasant to shoot. I shot 2 mags and it was a little high and right at 7 yds. All were in the 5" red in the right quadrant. Group size was about 2".

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 04-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have the Ruger LCP and find no fault with it.

... ed ...
MAINE - The Way Life Should Be ...

Old 04-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've got a KelTec PF9 with about 150 rounds down range. No problems yet. The recoil is a little snappy, and the trigger has a long pull, but it melts on my body (and I'm a small framed guy).