Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Taurus TCP vs. Ruger LCP vs. Kel-tec P3AT (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/taurus-tcp-vs-ruger-lcp-vs-kel-tec-p3at-37880/)

DukesDad 02-03-2011 09:53 PM

Taurus TCP vs. Ruger LCP vs. Kel-tec P3AT

I'm looking for a good pocket pistol. From what I've been able to find these three seem to be the best buys for the money, does anybody have any experience with any of these? If so, how good are they? Are there any others I missed that are as good or better for about the same money? I would prefer to go with .40 S&W for continuity of rounds but can't find anything that is that small. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

NGIB 02-03-2011 09:57 PM

If you haven't shot a .40 pocket pistol - make sure you do before spending your money. Of the 3, the LCP would get my vote followed by the Kel-Tac...

Second_Life 04-05-2011 02:31 AM

Forget the kel Tec. Even the KT customer service rep. told me that its a 50/50 chance on a lemon. Oh yeah, they said that when I called about the status of my 2nd return for service on my P3AT for jamming.

AOK 04-05-2011 03:46 AM

Personally I owned a P3AT but had stove pipes far to often to be able to depend on it as a BUG. I sold that and looked at the Ruger LCP and Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380. I ended up going with the S&W because it felt better in my hand, less felt recoil, it goes into slide lock, and has real sights. The biggest issue with this gun is the safety being hard to disengage but I don't use a safety so it doesn't matter to me. In addition some people aren't fond of the laser due to its location and some are harder than others to activate (I have no issue activating mine). The location doesn't really bother me because the likelihood of me using the laser is very minimal. The only time I'd use the laser is in low light conditions or for shooting in extremely awkward positions.

I've heard a lot of nice things about the TCP but have had no experience with them.

Best of luck in your decision and hopefully you find what works best for you.

mkett39 04-06-2011 04:01 PM

I have the LCP and it shot good. No failures. Bought for the wife because she liked the looks and feel but she don't like no more after shooting it:mad: She di not like the flip of that little booger. Thats the only reason I have a .380 but I would trust it as far as functioning.

Bootsdeal 04-09-2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukesDad (Post 436413)
I'm looking for a good pocket pistol. From what I've been able to find these three seem to be the best buys for the money, does anybody have any experience with any of these? If so, how good are they? Are there any others I missed that are as good or better for about the same money? I would prefer to go with .40 S&W for continuity of rounds but can't find anything that is that small. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I've got the Taurus 738 and happy with it, although it won't always feed the cheap Russian ammo from Cabella's. It does good with any of the name brand like Winchester, Federal, etc. I always carry it and am completely secure with it for what it's designed for. I carry it in hip pocket, one in the pipe, and have to issues except above.

Win73 04-10-2011 02:46 AM

I have the LCP and am happy with it. So far no problems whatsoever.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/a...sample/380.jpg

JTJ 04-10-2011 04:09 AM

I have a Kel-Tec P3AT with the finger extension on the mag. It is not a pleasant gun to shoot. Mine has had a couple of hundred rounds through it with no hiccups. Both hardball and XTPs. The PF9 I had was a jammer after several hundred rounds and a replaced main spring it still jammed so I traded it off. I went back to a P11 which has proven to be reliable. My first one Only had 1 failure to fire in over 6k rounds and it was a bad primer.
The best 380 I have fired was the Sig 238. Easy to control and pleasant to shoot. I shot 2 mags and it was a little high and right at 7 yds. All were in the 5" red in the right quadrant. Group size was about 2".

raveneap 04-13-2011 08:03 PM

I have the Ruger LCP and find no fault with it.

falseharmonix 04-13-2011 08:14 PM

I've got a KelTec PF9 with about 150 rounds down range. No problems yet. The recoil is a little snappy, and the trigger has a long pull, but it melts on my body (and I'm a small framed guy).