Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Taurus-PT745 Compact (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/taurus-pt745-compact-15952/)

layton 07-21-2009 04:47 PM

Taurus-PT745 Compact

Can any one tell me if there have been any problems with this type of weapon, looking at it for my wife, is it prone to FTE or FTF? I have read the pro and con of the Taurus, but are there any particular areas of problems with this series of weapon?

Appreciate any info.

Layton

IGETEVEN 07-21-2009 09:00 PM

I have a shooting buddy that owns a PT145 and he loves it and carries it. He has shot the PT745 compact and other than being smaller and the magazine holds less (6+1) compared to the PT145 that holds (10+1) he states there is no difference. He has never had FTE or FTF problems with his, all though, they are the latest generation manufactured within the last 2 years. I have shot both and really I do not see any problems with either. Both put up a decent grouping within 2-3", @ 15 yards and both handle well, but I am a loyal M&P man. You cannot beat the price for either one of them too and that lifetime warranty, most people want.

Jack

layton 07-22-2009 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGETEVEN (Post 131955)
I have a shooting buddy that owns a PT145 and he loves it and carries it. He has shot the PT745 compact and other than being smaller and the magazine holds less (6+1) compared to the PT145 that holds (10+1) he states there is no difference. He has never had FTE or FTF problems with his, all though, they are the latest generation manufactured within the last 2 years. I have shot both and really I do not see any problems with either. Both put up a decent grouping within 2-3", @ 15 yards and both handle well, but I am a loyal M&P man. You cannot beat the price for either one of them too and that lifetime warranty, most people want.

Jack

Thanks for the info, appreciate it very much.

Layton

armed_preacher 07-22-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by layton (Post 131825)
Can any one tell me if there have been any problems with this type of weapon, looking at it for my wife, is it prone to FTE or FTF? I have read the pro and con of the Taurus, but are there any particular areas of problems with this series of weapon?

Appreciate any info.

Layton

A Taurus 745 is my carry gun. I just started cc a few months ago so I have nothing to compare it with. I've put hundreds of rds thru it and had no malfunction.

I also have a Taurus 24/7 OSS DS 9mm which I think I would prefer to carry if it were not so big and heavy. I'm much more accurate on 2nd and 2rd shot with it. With the .45 it takes a longer time to get back on target.

I know if my wife wanted to carry, I'd recommend a purse size 9mm with a good defensive rd.

PlaneGuy 03-28-2010 07:00 AM

I've had a PT-145 for almost one year now. I love it, although I really wanted the 745. From what I've read, the slide and barrel are the same on both weapons, so operation should be similar.

I also own a Kel-Tec PF-9, which is actually a painful shooting experience. I was expecting the Taurus to be at least as uncomfortable, or worse. I was pleasantly surprised, there was no discomfort. It was fun to shoot, as well as reliable and reasonable accurate.

efaz1 03-28-2010 07:58 AM

In the PT 7 series I have sold roughly 50, haven't had one come back in for service yet, tried mine but didn't care for it (actually I am trading it tomorrow for a new toy) But I did take it apart (all the way) and everything looks pretty good. Worst case scenario, you would know in relatively short order first time to rrange with it, like burrs on the feed ramp or some other stupid little thing you could fix at home.