Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Taurus pt24/7 pro vs. Taurus pt .38s(super) pistols

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #21
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2756 Times on 1597 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstarlin23 View Post
Ok but otherwise the pt.38s is a decent gun?
Than your other choice, yes.

Than my other choices, no.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-16-2011, 09:24 PM   #22

What would be your other choices?

Old 07-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #23
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2756 Times on 1597 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

Ed Brown, CZ-USA, Springer, Colt. And maybe a Kimber.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-16-2011, 10:14 PM   #24

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Beretta 92FS
Beretta Px4 Storm
CZ P07
CZ 75 Compact
GLOCK G17
SA XDm9
SIG Sauer P226 (9mm)
SIG Sauer P229 (.40)
S&W M&P9

Only the Sigs are cost prohibative. You really can't go wrong with any of the guns listed here or by Dan. My list revolves around 9mm pistols, though and is a mix of all metal guns and polymer-frame guns.

Things you'll need to figure out:

• Pistol vs Revolver
  • Metal vs Polymer
  • .22 vs .380 vs 9mm vs .40 vs .45 vs etc...
  • Hammer vs Striker
  • If Hammer, Decocker vs Thumb Safety vs Both
  • Full Size vs Compact vs Subcompact
  • And the list goes on...

My advice: 9mm, Polymer, Striker-fire, pistol (GLOCK G17 (G Series), S&W M&P9, or SA XD(M)9)

Alternate advice: 9mm, Metal, Hammer w/Decocker, pistol (CZ75 or Beretta 92FS)

My personal opinion is that you can't go wrong with the 5 I've listed above and it is a matter of which you shoot the best, which you'd be the most comfortable with under stress, and which one feels the best in your hand.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Last edited by knfxda; 07-16-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #25

The PT38 is vastly superior weapon in my opinion. I have carried a PT945 for years and have been wanting to get 38 super model. Next to the 45acp the 38 super is my favorite cartridge. Much more stopping power than the 38 special or 9mm. I have an old Star Super Modelo that I have had converted to 38 super. It is true that the 38 super ammo is usually both pricey and not readily available in every store. If you reload, I highly recommend the 38 super. The cases are different but you can use 9mm .355 bullets. If you don't reload and are on a budget, I would go with a different caliber gun. But not the Taurus 24/7. It doesn't seem to be near the quality of weapon that the PT38 and Pt945 are.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #26

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 18

The Taurus PT92 is a clone of the Beretta 92FS, but it's made better. Probably the best gun made by Taurus. Run you about $450. Similarly the Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm HC is a 17rd 9mm with ambidextrous safety and slide release, solid gun. Costs the same. PT92 is better, but some people don't believe in Taurus enough to give it a chance. I'd stay away from the 24/7's at all costs. Same with most Ruger striker fired guns. The S&W Sigma is a Glock clone that's nearly an exact copy of the glock but for hundreds less, and a heavier trigger (it's easy to lighten the trigger on your own). Breaking this gun down, it's amazing to see how they copied glock to the letter with everything in the sigma. As far as cheap striker fired guns go, that could be a potentially good deal.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #27

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

38 super is comparable to a 357. The 38 super just came along at the wrong time. If you reload the 38 super is one bad cartridge.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #28

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by slog View Post
The Taurus PT92 is a clone of the Beretta 92FS, but it's made better. Probably the best gun made by Taurus. Run you about $450. Similarly the Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm HC is a 17rd 9mm with ambidextrous safety and slide release, solid gun. Costs the same. PT92 is better, but some people don't believe in Taurus enough to give it a chance. I'd stay away from the 24/7's at all costs. Same with most Ruger striker fired guns. The S&W Sigma is a Glock clone that's nearly an exact copy of the glock but for hundreds less, and a heavier trigger (it's easy to lighten the trigger on your own). Breaking this gun down, it's amazing to see how they copied glock to the letter with everything in the sigma. As far as cheap striker fired guns go, that could be a potentially good deal.
S&W sent my dad a transfer bar for his sigma for free. It made all the difference in the world.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/