Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Taurus PT 92 AF Vs. S&W Sigma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Taurus PT 92 AF Vs. S&W Sigma

As ageneral, I was wondering which one you guys think more of, as well as being open to other options. I already own the Taurus PT92AF, but I was thinking about trading for the S&W Sigma model, as I was not as impressed with the Bull as I was hoping for, I guess I may have answered my own question but I'd like some more experienced feedback. Thanks folks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 461 Times on 253 Posts

Let me first say, my thoughts may be biased. I think the Sigma is a fine pistol. Sure the trigger is a little on the stiff side, not a problem for me. No accidental Bangs going to happen. For me the feel is wonderful. Some will say it is a copy of Glock, I say it is better. Sure it is similar, but why overpay for something that does not have as nice ergonomics. JMHO. I don't think you could go wrong in buying a Sigma.
Besides, I feel my Sigma is just the sexiest.
dsc02624.jpgName:  fap.gif
Views: 721
Size:  635 Bytes

Old 06-02-2010, 12:18 AM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

If I was picking between the two I'd lean to the Sigma. Having both these pistols at one time or another I believed the Smith was more accurate, more reliable, easier to maintain. Moat the aftermarket parts that work for a Glock will work on threw Sigma. That brings a slew of stuff to the table. THe trigers on the Sigma are a good bit heavier but this will work down in time and if one was wanting to speed up time a little a Wolff striker spring will help in that area.

Now I can just hear it..."DJ!?!?!? Those Wolff springs will lead to light strikes!!!!". To that I say I owned a 40VE that I not only changed the spring I took off a few moire coils just to see how far I could go. I stopped at 4 if memory is correct and that same spring was in the weapon 2 years later when I sold it. It's still in there now as I shoot with the buyer on a regular basis. So that theory is moot.

After my first range trip with that Sigma I sold my Glocks and will not own another one. I would owbn another Sigma if I was in the market for a poly frame striker fired weapon though.

At the end of the day I'm left with this. The Sigma is accurate, reliable, and easily worked on to fit the shooters needs. It's well worth the price and in my opinion a little more. THey are as the Glock not real attractive but they will perform when called on.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 461 Times on 253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
THey are as the Glock not real attractive but they will perform when called on.
Bite your tongue, I agreed with you, right until there. Look again.
dsc02623.jpg
Beautiful. I know, I know...but whenever I can share the joy that is my Sigma, I must. Needs it's own section.
How about a Sticky "Shihan's Sigma" and I will post a pic a day.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:28 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

If you want double action only go for the sigma, if you want sa/da go with the pt92.

The pt92 is heavy, so if you intend on carrying go for the sigma.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:58 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Man, I got to be honest with you. If the Taurus wasn't made in Brazil then you need to get the Sigma. Because IMHO the Brazilian made Taurus is the cream of the crop. The rest are just guns. The Sigma is a great gun it has great reviews! Plus you can't go wrong if Robo loves em

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Old 06-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

it seems kind of apples to oranges as far as comparisons, but i'd go sigma.

the taurus is waaaay heavy.

as far as sexy, first off, it's a handgun. secondly, against my usp? i think not.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:34 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Man, I really wasn't expecting that much response from you guys . Thanks! I guess I know what has to be done now. The biggest reason for the question was how much badmouth the Sigma got at the sales counter & it was all from the salesman, should've known because the Taurus retailed for over $200 more. Can we say comission. Any reasonably priced gun would also be of interest(can't afford a USP even though I think they are awesome), so if anyone has suggestions other than the Sigma, I'd love to hear 'em. Thanks again for all your input ladies & gentlemen.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:23 AM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Go with the Sigma.
I had one, the SW40VE, great guns.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:11 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Shihan. You are not in Kali. That 10 rounder has to go! Only mamby pamby limpwristed left coasters would actually take a pic with a damn 10 round mag. Your Smith, Man Card is now officially on probation.

Back to the topic at hand...Taurus PT 92? Dude that gun was not even cool in 1981. Damn repro of an obsolete Beretta 51. I have seen several on the range (when we were dumb enough to allow them). They all ended wiht cracked frames. Taurus did a lousy heat treat job on most of those. If it was the last gun on the planet and I was riding shotgun for Mad Max, I might consider carrying it.

Suffice it to say the Sigma is a perfectly serviceable handgun. Practice and get used to the trigger.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball