Taurus PT 111 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Taurus PT 111

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 01:23 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You'll need to keep a firm grip & wrist and practice more on it. This is a good article about limpwristing.

Last edited by TX45; 08-18-2011 at 02:02 AM.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:27 AM   #12

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Do you shoot two handed?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #13

Good info in that link! Thanks! Yes I shoot 2 handed. At least I think I do. (I'm still trying to learn all the names or slang or terms lol. As evidence by the "clip" statement). I shoot with my left hand as the primary and it sit in my right hand. If that makes any sense...

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 08-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #14
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseEMTB View Post
Good info in that link! Thanks! Yes I shoot 2 handed. At least I think I do. (I'm still trying to learn all the names or slang or terms lol. As evidence by the "clip" statement). I shoot with my left hand as the primary and it sit in my right hand. If that makes any sense...

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk
Denise, the best way to test for limpwristing is to have a friend watch you shoot or, barring that, freeze your hand right after you touch off the round. if the gun is pointed up sharply because your wrist is bent sharply upward instead of your entire forearm being lifted, the chance is the problem is shooter error. If you are not doing this, I would return the gun and magazines to Taurus.

Remember when holding the gun to keep the forefinger out of the trigger guard and pointed straight down the frame until ready to fire. All the other fingers should apply pressure to the grip like you are trying to squeeze a lemon - even, steady pressure - then forefinger on the trigger, aim and squeeze the lemon, errr, trigger!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #15
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
A Taurus with a problem? Go figure!
Canebrake, when I was an FFL dealer, I got so worried about these rumors of "Taurus breakdowns" that I called everyone that I had sold Taurus handguns to and asked them if they had ANY problems. Out of every gun I sold, only one customer had a problem and Taurus customer service had solved it by mailing two new magazines to his home and then having him send the originals back in a mailer they included along with postage. He was very happy with how it was handled!

I was happy and was going to let it go at that, but a conversation over dinner with a friend gave me another idea. I hit the sales records again. I couldn't find every customer that had purchased a 1911-style .45, but I did talk to the majority. Two old WW II vets hadn't touched the original gun - it was exactly how it came out of the box. The rest of them had added beavertails, mag wells, Wolff springs, bobbed hammers, match barrels, accurizing kits, match triggers - and these were the ones that did the work themselves! Some had sent them off for a full gunsmithing package by well-known gunsmiths and were without their weapon for six months or more.

My question is...if Colt is so fantastic, why does it need an average of $462 of work out of the box before anyone can use it? The Taurus guns seem to come out of the box and go bang without needing extensive gunsmithing. Yes, they have a flaw here and there which the company takes care of happily. But Taurus doesn't expect its customers to spend 80% of the gun value in modifications before it can be used!

P.S. All you Colt fans - don't have kittens! I'm not knocking Colt! just trying to make a point that Taurus is not as bad as everyone makes them out to be!!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #16

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
My question is...if Colt is so fantastic, why does it need an average of $462 of work out of the box before anyone can use it? The Taurus guns seem to come out of the box and go bang without needing extensive gunsmithing. Yes, they have a flaw here and there which the company takes care of happily. But Taurus doesn't expect its customers to spend 80% of the gun value in modifications before it can be used!
Really? $462? Why not $288 or $523?

If Colts require $462 to get them to work then someone has paid $2,310 to get his to go bang because all four of mine ran just fine "out of the box." I find the statement "...need an average of $462 of work out of the box before anyone can use it?" on par with "Glock Perfection". Both statements ring like false coins on a marble counter.

I am not bashing Taurus, just relating what seams to be a daily posting of their dirty laundry. Of ALL the major marks discussed here on the FTF, Taurus issues are hands down, the most frequently presented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseEMTB View Post
Yes I shoot 2 handed. I shoot with my left hand as the primary and it sits in my right hand. If that makes any sense...
Yes it does, and makes me think "limp wristing" is your problem.

Does your grip look like this?

Taurus PT 111 - General Handgun Discussion

This grip is called "Tea Cupping" and offers no support to your strong side hand. The muzzle flips with no support and the gun scrubs energy that should be used to properly cycle the action.

Changing your grip to this;

will provide a far more stable gun and allow the action to cycle properly.

Here are examples of poor grip techniques;

The mortal sin of tea cupping.

And the infamous "Dirty Harry" grip.

Both the above grips are referred to as movie or Hollywood grips and only work on the silver screen.

I hope this helps. Should you want more detailed information I'd be glad to explain what works for me.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Your post indicated the problem started with the 2nd magazine. Did you reload the 1st magazine and try again? It sounds like you may have a damaged magazine.

Magazines can be easily damaged during loading. Are you using a loader are doing it by hand? if the cartridges seem very hard to load, you may damaging them during loading.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:37 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Denise,
You may have a magazine problem. I have a Taurus 24/7 that would not feed properly. I disassembled the magazine and found some casting flash on the plastic follower. I sanded it off, oiled it, and reassembled the magazine. I have not had any problems since.

Cane,
You read about all the Taurus problems here because this site seems to encourage Taurus bashing more than any other I have visited. Not a reflection of the firearm, but more the regulars on this board, in my opinion.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:46 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6792 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
My question is...if Colt is so fantastic, why does it need an average of $462 of work out of the box before anyone can use it?
both my current colts work straight out of the box with no addons. unless you count pink hogue rubber grips. they feed everything and have never malfunctioned. both m new agent and series 70 new model feed empty cases out of the mag.

taurus is a hit or miss company. they sell guns with little testing or quality control and just deal with the complaints and issues thru their cs department.

if you get one that works huzzah and good luck of the draw.

my personal opinion: dont waste money or time on taurus. its too much of a crapshoot.

for the OP: denise, contact taurus, while their products arent the best guns they do honor their warranty. ive had a few taurus guns in the past and had my share of horror issues. but they will fix it for you.

my recomemdation find a different ccw/sd gun.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 08-25-2011, 01:31 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

There's a fair amount of Glock bashing on this site as well, but I believe that Taurus bashing probably does win the prize. LOL