Taurus model 845 Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Taurus model 845 Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Taurus model 845 Question

I've got an employee of mine looking to buy a new pistol. He's looked at a lot of different calibers and makers. I'm a fan of quite a few different makes and have so far been pushing the SA XD45 (he wants a polymer gun). But he's also a very "cautious" buyer to say the least and wants to check on just about everything that's offered currently.

He just left my office after asking about the Taurus Mod. 845. Fairly new gun and not much I could read about right off. I would very much like opinions (informed ones primarily) on this pistol.

Cheers

GCA and RSA Member, NRA Life Member

Last edited by RCHanlin; 11-23-2009 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

My one (and only) experience with a poly Taurus was not good. Bought a new 24/7 Pro and within a week the trigger wouldn't reset and it had to go back for service. They had the gun for 11 weeks. I've had good luck with metal Taurii though, like the PT 92 and PT 1911.

I'd also vote for an XD because they are a known quantity with a solid company behind them...

Old 11-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's funny... I always heard that Taurus was a good gun but then I read that in some places, Taurus was the number one gun going back for service or warranty repair. A gun aint worth much if it's always at the shop

I've tried pushing the 1911's but he's wanting a double stack gun to have more rounds at the ready I guess. I do think that Taurus hit a home run with their 1911 though.

Kinda surprised that you had issues with the 24/7. That one got Gun of the Year with the NRA a few years back.. Go figure

Cheers

Old 11-23-2009, 08:32 PM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHanlin View Post
Kinda surprised that you had issues with the 24/7. That one got Gun of the Year with the NRA a few years back.. Go figure

Cheers
Ever look at how much advertising Taurus does with the gun magazines - including American Rifleman?. The Judge won handgun of the year from them as well. That's one reason I read NO gun mags - nothing is objective...

Old 11-24-2009, 12:02 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Ever look at how much advertising Taurus does with the gun magazines - including American Rifleman?. The Judge won handgun of the year from them as well. That's one reason I read NO gun mags - nothing is objective...
So true... You notice this months American Rifleman? The pres. of Barretta sent a letter to them upset that his pistol was not mentioned in their top ten best pistols artical that they had run... Look at the front cover (lol) His M9 is all over it and a feature artical on the gun. Talk about preasure

Old 11-24-2009, 01:35 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

RCHanlin, don't forget ParaOrdnance! They make some nice double stack 1911s. I've got a P14-45 and love it, I just came back home from shooting it at the range. Lovely gun. All the nice things about the 1911 platform, plus 14+1 capacity.

If polymer is a must, the S&W M&P line is pretty nice for a tupperware gun. I've got one in 9mm, it's sort of a guilty pleasure for a traditional guy like me, but it works fine and hits what I aim it at.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 11-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #7

I have to second the vote for an M&P. After owning a Glock and an XD9, I settled on the M&P. As someone told me, Smith & Wesson took a Glock and then kept everything good and discarded everything bad. With the small backstrap, the grip is very similar to a 1911. Finally, I carry my new Kimber Ultra Cary II but I'd have not problem putting my family or I behind the M&P. So far no malfunctions, after about 750 rounds.

Just my 2 cents.

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
— Mahatma Ghandi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", page 446

Old 11-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
RCHanlin, don't forget ParaOrdnance! They make some nice double stack 1911s. I've got a P14-45 and love it, I just came back home from shooting it at the range. Lovely gun. All the nice things about the 1911 platform, plus 14+1 capacity.

If polymer is a must, the S&W M&P line is pretty nice for a tupperware gun. I've got one in 9mm, it's sort of a guilty pleasure for a traditional guy like me, but it works fine and hits what I aim it at.

I had mentioned the Para line to him also. I believe them to be great firearms as well. I think I mentioned that he was looking at the Sigma for a bit cause they were going for a great cheap price at the local sporting goods store ( under $300 after the rebate) then I brought up the M&P... Fact is, I was looking at the M&P for myself in 40cal. I'm kinda stuck now between the XDm and the M&P actually but this thread is not about me ..

So more to pass along to him when he gets back in to work

Cheers