Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Taurus model 845 Question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/taurus-model-845-question-20358/)

RCHanlin 11-23-2009 05:15 PM

Taurus model 845 Question
 
I've got an employee of mine looking to buy a new pistol. He's looked at a lot of different calibers and makers. I'm a fan of quite a few different makes and have so far been pushing the SA XD45 (he wants a polymer gun). But he's also a very "cautious" buyer to say the least and wants to check on just about everything that's offered currently.

He just left my office after asking about the Taurus Mod. 845. Fairly new gun and not much I could read about right off. I would very much like opinions (informed ones primarily) on this pistol.

Cheers:)

NGIB 11-23-2009 05:45 PM

My one (and only) experience with a poly Taurus was not good. Bought a new 24/7 Pro and within a week the trigger wouldn't reset and it had to go back for service. They had the gun for 11 weeks. I've had good luck with metal Taurii though, like the PT 92 and PT 1911.

I'd also vote for an XD because they are a known quantity with a solid company behind them...

RCHanlin 11-23-2009 07:28 PM

It's funny... I always heard that Taurus was a good gun but then I read that in some places, Taurus was the number one gun going back for service or warranty repair. A gun aint worth much if it's always at the shop:mad:

I've tried pushing the 1911's but he's wanting a double stack gun to have more rounds at the ready I guess. I do think that Taurus hit a home run with their 1911 though.

Kinda surprised that you had issues with the 24/7. That one got Gun of the Year with the NRA a few years back.. Go figure:(


Cheers:)

NGIB 11-23-2009 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCHanlin (Post 189849)
Kinda surprised that you had issues with the 24/7. That one got Gun of the Year with the NRA a few years back.. Go figure:(


Cheers:)

Ever look at how much advertising Taurus does with the gun magazines - including American Rifleman?. The Judge won handgun of the year from them as well. That's one reason I read NO gun mags - nothing is objective...

RCHanlin 11-23-2009 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 189851)
Ever look at how much advertising Taurus does with the gun magazines - including American Rifleman?. The Judge won handgun of the year from them as well. That's one reason I read NO gun mags - nothing is objective...

So true... You notice this months American Rifleman? The pres. of Barretta sent a letter to them upset that his pistol was not mentioned in their top ten best pistols artical that they had run... Look at the front cover (lol) His M9 is all over it and a feature artical on the gun. Talk about preasure :D

Franciscomv 11-24-2009 12:35 AM

RCHanlin, don't forget ParaOrdnance! They make some nice double stack 1911s. I've got a P14-45 and love it, I just came back home from shooting it at the range. Lovely gun. All the nice things about the 1911 platform, plus 14+1 capacity.

If polymer is a must, the S&W M&P line is pretty nice for a tupperware gun. I've got one in 9mm, it's sort of a guilty pleasure for a traditional guy like me, but it works fine and hits what I aim it at.

kodiak1973 11-24-2009 07:01 PM

I have to second the vote for an M&P. After owning a Glock and an XD9, I settled on the M&P. As someone told me, Smith & Wesson took a Glock and then kept everything good and discarded everything bad. With the small backstrap, the grip is very similar to a 1911. Finally, I carry my new Kimber Ultra Cary II but I'd have not problem putting my family or I behind the M&P. So far no malfunctions, after about 750 rounds.

Just my 2 cents. :D

RCHanlin 11-24-2009 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franciscomv (Post 189940)
RCHanlin, don't forget ParaOrdnance! They make some nice double stack 1911s. I've got a P14-45 and love it, I just came back home from shooting it at the range. Lovely gun. All the nice things about the 1911 platform, plus 14+1 capacity.

If polymer is a must, the S&W M&P line is pretty nice for a tupperware gun. I've got one in 9mm, it's sort of a guilty pleasure for a traditional guy like me, but it works fine and hits what I aim it at.


I had mentioned the Para line to him also. I believe them to be great firearms as well. I think I mentioned that he was looking at the Sigma for a bit cause they were going for a great cheap price at the local sporting goods store ( under $300 after the rebate) then I brought up the M&P... Fact is, I was looking at the M&P for myself in 40cal. I'm kinda stuck now between the XDm and the M&P actually but this thread is not about me :D..

So more to pass along to him when he gets back in to work


Cheers:)


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:13 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.