taurus judge questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > taurus judge questions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: corpus christi,texas
Posts: 100
Default taurus judge questions

so I've been looking at getting one of these guys for a while. I hunt mainly with black powder but I do enjoy a pistol hunt for hogs with my 357 loaded up with buffalo bore 180 gainers. I'm looking to step up to a .44 mag or a 45 that can handle HOT rounds. to my knowledge the judge will shoot +p rounds all day.
so my question is how does it shoot? how does it stack up to a ruger or smith & Wesson as far as accuracy? I've shot the short barreled version with bird shot and if was a lot of fun but I'm looking at getting the longer barreled version with the intent of using it for both hunting and home defense.

your thoughts and opinions please

__________________
shooter57 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 04-02-2011, 01:44 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

This is a bad idea on so many levels;

First, it's a Taurus,
Second, it's a HOG, unless you have a death wish or normally take hogs with a knife, a 410/45LC?? Really? Isn't that best saved for cowboy shooting?

I think it will do a great job pissing-off the pig!

__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:24 AM   #3
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,601
Liked 5690 Times on 2973 Posts
Likes Given: 378

Default

remember 45lc is ballistical the same as a 45acp. i would hesitate to use a 45acp on feral hog. the only gun i can think of that is chamber in 45lc and can handle 44mag power levels is the ruger blackhawk. i wouldnt trust a taurus revolver for any hunting purpose.

hogs are thick boned thick skinned critters that have very thick sloped skulls designed to root in the ground. a hog charging you is going to have that sloped heavily armoured skull tween you and the vitals.

handguns: 44mag or 460rowland using softpoints.

my opinion anything less than above your taking a risk.

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...


Last edited by JonM; 04-02-2011 at 02:28 AM.
JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:55 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gordo323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sometimes in,Utah
Posts: 1,086
Default

I have a Judge, I use it on rattlesnakes when I am fly fishing.
It works.
Pigs? Never!
I should have bought American and got the Bond snakeslayer, my mistake.

__________________

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Gordo323 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:07 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bgeddes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 441
Default

If you insist on a .45LC/.410 handgun, the S&W Governor might be a better choice. Not many on the market, but for stopping a hog, a Smith and Wesson might be a better gamble.

__________________
bgeddes is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: corpus christi,texas
Posts: 100
Default

does anyone know how this gun shoots as far as accuracy?


I'm not asking if you can kill a hog with a 45. A lot of folks don't realize that +p hunting rounds in 45 LC are pretty much identical to 44 mag and will absolutely flatten a large wild hog.

Buffalo Bore Ammunition 45 Colt (Long Colt) +P 325 Grain Lead Long Flat Nose Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

__________________
shooter57 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: valdosta georgia,georgia
Posts: 113
Likes Given: 13

Default

if you wish to use it for hog hunting step up to the raging judge, shoots 45lc. 410, and 454 cassull

__________________
cmhill is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,601
Liked 5690 Times on 2973 Posts
Likes Given: 378

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter57 View Post
does anyone know how this gun shoots as far as accuracy?


I'm not asking if you can kill a hog with a 45. A lot of folks don't realize that +p hunting rounds in 45 LC are pretty much identical to 44 mag and will absolutely flatten a large wild hog.

Buffalo Bore Ammunition 45 Colt (Long Colt) +P 325 Grain Lead Long Flat Nose Box of 20 - MidwayUSA
Again I wouldn't use those in anything but a very strong modern 45lc rifle or new model ruger blackhawk. I used to load for that caliber with similar bullets and taurus quality and strength just isn't there.

I can overload a 9mm that will reproduce those power levels but will only function in certain guns safely and destroy others. Overloaded ammo is a very bad idea.

Just buy a firearm designed to handle the cartridge you want.

The judge is a range toy and marketing gimmick. If you really want one just comeback and post pics after it blows up in your hand from that over power ammo. If you survive it.
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:19 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: corpus christi,texas
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Again I wouldn't use those in anything but a very strong modern 45lc rifle or new model ruger blackhawk. I used to load for that caliber with similar bullets and taurus quality and strength just isn't there.

I can overload a 9mm that will reproduce those power levels but will only function in certain guns safely and destroy others. Overloaded ammo is a very bad idea.

Just buy a firearm designed to handle the cartridge you want.

The judge is a range toy and marketing gimmick. If you really want one just comeback and post pics after it blows up in your hand from that over power ammo. If you survive it.
Thanks DAD

I agree that overloaded ammo in any revolver but a new model ruger isn't the best idea as I wouldn't even think of shooting some of the hand loads I've used in my 357 out of a Taurus but 45 LC is different than other rounds in that almost all modern 45 LC revolvers including Taurus are designed to handle those +p pressures because they use the exact same rounds to machine the cylinders for the 44 mag. By saying you wouldn't shoot overloaded 45s out of a Taurus you're basically saying you wouldn't shoot a Taurus 44 mag.
__________________
shooter57 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:44 AM   #10
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,601
Liked 5690 Times on 2973 Posts
Likes Given: 378

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter57 View Post
Thanks DAD

I agree that overloaded ammo in any revolver but a new model ruger isn't the best idea as I wouldn't even think of shooting some of the hand loads I've used in my 357 out of a Taurus but 45 LC is different than other rounds in that almost all modern 45 LC revolvers including Taurus are designed to handle those +p pressures because they use the exact same rounds to machine the cylinders for the 44 mag. By saying you wouldn't shoot overloaded 45s out of a Taurus you're basically saying you wouldn't shoot a Taurus 44 mag.
your right i wouldnt shoot a taurus 44mag. when i see peeps on the range with taurus 44 or judge i tend to move down a few lanes to be out of the range of shrapnel.
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Disappointed with my Taurus Judge Franciscomv Revolver Handguns 22 09-21-2012 10:46 PM
Taurus Judge issues Sev General Handgun Discussion 20 05-29-2010 05:35 AM
taurus judge easterner123 General Handgun Discussion 24 01-29-2010 05:36 AM
taurus judge magnum dcp1987 Revolver Handguns 1 01-29-2010 05:16 AM
Taurus Judge Franciscomv Range Report 9 09-01-2009 03:10 AM