Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Taurus Judge issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
Sev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Taurus Judge issues

Just wondering if anybody has issues with opening the cylinder of the Judge? Mine doesn't open smooth. If you push the release all the way the locking pin pushes into the cylinder and it won't release. I have to ease up on the release and then it will open.
The other issue is the guy next to me said that the lead shot was sheering off as it left the cylinder and entered the barrel. He said he could feel it hitting his face. I was at a station next to him at the range. Does anyone know if this is actually happening, or is it just the gas from the shell being expelled between the cylinder and the barrel?

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2009, 09:23 PM   #2

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

First off, Welcome to the forum.

Have you been shooting long? How long have you had your pistol? Did you buy it new or used? From a dealer or private party? Were you firing .45 Long Colt or .410 shot shells?

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
Sev

Thanks for the welcome. I've been shooting a Kimber Custom II for a few months, and 12 gauge shotguns for several years.
I bought the Judge new from a dealer at a gun show. I was shooting .410 loads, winchester super X. I also shot remington .410 loads and they were very hard to eject. I won't use them again. It was my first time shooting the gun.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #4

I've read about so many problems on the Judge with 410 shells. Try 45 LC and see how well they work.

S.S.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
Sev

Would love to shoot 45 LC. They are hard to get!

Old 08-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #6

I'll assume the gun is used. Therefore, check out this Taurus International Manufacturing Inc - Repair Policy

Get Ammo http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=10480_14658_14743_14909_14760

Last edited by dunerunner; 08-16-2009 at 09:42 PM.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #7

Dune..not a single one of those are in stock.

S.S.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #8

Figures! I'll keep looking!

JACKETED SOFT POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go
Show Search Results
Ammunition - Shop Premium & Discount Ammunition at MidwayUSA

What will I do with the rest of my day?

Old 08-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
Supporting Member

Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
Just wondering if anybody has issues with opening the cylinder of the Judge? Mine doesn't open smooth. If you push the release all the way the locking pin pushes into the cylinder and it won't release. I have to ease up on the release and then it will open.
The other issue is the guy next to me said that the lead shot was sheering off as it left the cylinder and entered the barrel. He said he could feel it hitting his face. I was at a station next to him at the range. Does anyone know if this is actually happening, or is it just the gas from the shell being expelled between the cylinder and the barrel?

Thanks!
I have a Taurus 4510 "Judge". I have fired well over 2000 .410's through it, no problems at all.

It sounds as though your Judge may have a slight timing problem, whereby the forcing cone & cylinder are not aligned perfectly when you fire the pistol. You will need to have a good gunsmith look at it or send it to Taurus...

Old 08-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #10

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

I saw recently where Federal has developed a .410 load specificly for the Taurus! Im not sure how good it is or how big of a diffrents it makes as I dont own a Taurus, but I thought you might be interested.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun