Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Taurus Judge (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/taurus-judge-48360/)

peacemaker41 09-16-2011 06:15 PM

Taurus Judge
 
Anybody have the Taurus Judge?
I have the Judge with a 4" barrel.
Just obtained the Judge with 2" barrel.
Comments anyone?

CourtJester 09-17-2011 04:31 AM

I've got one. I haven't shot it much. I've taken it to the range and my 8 year hogs the damn thing and it's just standing back and letting him shoot it.
It works great though. No concerns or complaints here

Axxe55 09-18-2011 09:32 PM

my brother gought one for a home defense weapon and brought it to my house to try it out. very nice gun and the recoil is not bad. they are a little pricey IMO, but i would still like to have one. my use would be different than my brothers intended use, i would like one for when i'm walking in the woods to take care of snakes, as it would be easier to carry the judge than a longer shotgun.

Lindenwood 09-18-2011 10:01 PM

I've always wondered the point of shooting a snake while hiking. Seems like it would be way easier to just take a few extra steps to walk around? I mean, if it's close enough to be a threat, there's no way someone could draw and fire quickly enough to actually "stop" it from biting, heh.

Or is there some common code of killing all poisonous snakes for the safety of others, etc?

Ammo for the judge is sowly catching up. There are actually some .410 buckshot loads capable of decent penetration out of the short barrel (given they were designed for full-length shotgun barrels).

FCross7 09-18-2011 10:08 PM

I know for a fact that Winchester is making Judge specific loads. They have a 20 round box that has 10 rounds of .45 LC, and 10 rounds of .410 that are both designed specifically for the short barrel. There may be others, but the Winchester PDX is the only one I'm aware of.

-Fred

Axxe55 09-18-2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindenwood (Post 582367)
I've always wondered the point of shooting a snake while hiking. Seems like it would be way easier to just take a few extra steps to walk around? I mean, if it's close enough to be a threat, there's no way someone could draw and fire quickly enough to actually "stop" it from biting, heh.

Or is there some common code of killing all poisonous snakes for the safety of others, etc?

Ammo for the judge is sowly catching up. There are actually some .410 buckshot loads capable of decent penetration out of the short barrel (given they were designed for full-length shotgun barrels).

not everyone is in the wood for pleasure. some people such as myself do work in the woods, clearing brush, putting up fence and other chores. so for me a pistol that shoots shotgun rounds makes better sense than a regular pistol and would be more handy than a fullsize shotgun. sometimes snakes here at certain times tend to be very aggressive, and become a threat to people, my animals and livestock. so with that being said, yes i do feel that poisonous snakes need to be eliminated.

IGETEVEN 09-19-2011 03:04 PM

I would prefer the S&W Governor over the Taurus Judge, but that is personal preference due to reliability, make and ammo choices. YMMV :cool:

http://osagecountyguns.s3.amazonaws....62411-spec.jpg

As for poisonous snakes, unless they are detrimental to what I am doing, or aggressively threatening or coming at me or my family and pets, I would choose to avoid or go around one, rather than destroy one. Again, YMMV ;)

Lindenwood 09-19-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 582434)
not everyone is in the wood for pleasure. some people such as myself do work in the woods, clearing brush, putting up fence and other chores. so for me a pistol that shoots shotgun rounds makes better sense than a regular pistol and would be more handy than a fullsize shotgun. sometimes snakes here at certain times tend to be very aggressive, and become a threat to people, my animals and livestock. so with that being said, yes i do feel that poisonous snakes need to be eliminated.

Ah, that makes sense. Though it seems few who use the judge for that purpuse have this justification (snakes being on your own property and putting you, family, and livestock / pets at risk).

Axxe55 09-19-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindenwood (Post 582804)
Ah, that makes sense. Though it seems few who use the judge for that purpuse have this justification (snakes being on your own property and putting you, family, and livestock / pets at risk).

i for one agree that if the snake is not a threat and i can retreat or let the snake retreat, then so be it. but if i find them closer to the house or are a threat to my animals or livestock, they are eliminated. i just had to last month put one of our cats down due to snakebite. and this year the snakes have been worse for some reason. could be due to the drought we have had. just last night, first rain in three months!

MrWray 09-21-2011 04:15 PM

The only good snake is a dead snake, theres not many things on this earth tht im scared of but a snake is one of them. If i was carrying a .50BMG and came across a snake i would shoot the snake with it, i dont care how much the rounds cost. 


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:03 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.