Taurus .22 LR pistol
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Taurus .22 LR pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 02:34 AM   #1
MGH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Taurus .22 LR pistol

So I recently found out everyone but me has this cool little pistol. What do you guys think about it?
I mostly want it because its a cheap pistol and shoots cheap .22; I think I would go shooting more if it was cheaper all around.
Also, I found myself not carrying concealed because my Glock 23 doesn't conceal well. So this might be a future carry weapon as well. I couldn't find a holster for it (hip or ankle).
Any feed back would be appreciated.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2010, 02:52 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As a gun dealer I must say I don't fancy trusting my most valuable asset to a gun made by a person who doesn't actually own a toilet. I mean, are the employees at Taurus even allowed to own one of the things they construct?
I will admit that after recently seeing that the Taurus TCP .380 acp is being produced in the USA, it does make me wonder if the gun is truly born in the USA or merely assembled in the USA??

Old 08-19-2010, 06:14 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

They sure seem to be popular. They are reasonable and are cheap to shoot. As far as the employees not being able to own one doesn't Para build a lot of guns in Canada? I don't think handguns will fly up there either. Go to your gun shop and grab one. If it makes you smile- buy it....

TACTICAL22.NET,NRA, VCDL

Old 08-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGH View Post
So I recently found out everyone but me has this cool little pistol. What do you guys think about it?
It's not even in my vocabulary to describe. I wouldn't give $50 for one,seriously.

Quote:
mostly want it because its a cheap pistol and shoots cheap .22; I think I would go shooting more if it was cheaper all around.
It's cheap for a reason, just like other cheap things in this world.

Quote:
Also, I found myself not carrying concealed because my Glock 23 doesn't conceal well. So this might be a future carry weapon as well. I couldn't find a holster for it (hip or ankle).
Any feed back would be appreciated.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc
Oh goodness!!! A .22lr from a tiny/ unreliable "pistol" . You sure you want to stake you and your loved ones lives on that? At the very least carry a .380. Those can be pretty small these days.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I had 1 in the 1990s. Itw as reliable after I sent it in to Taurus, after my 1st range trip. It wouldn't feed anything.

They sent it back and altered the mag. It would only work with that 1 mag, and it held 1 less round.

I wouldn't recommend it. It's got a super, super heavy trigger. And, the frame takes a battering after a while.

I no longer have it

Old 08-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #6

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

As a carry gun this would be about as effective as a nice rock. A .22 out of a 2" barrel doesn't pack much punch at all. IMHO, spend a few more $$$ and get a Ruger Mk or Browning Buckmark if you want a good .22 pistol.

BTW, I don't know anyone that has (or wants) one of these...

Old 08-20-2010, 01:32 AM   #7

Going against alot of comments here, but, personally, I think it's a pretty cool pistol as well, buddy. No a .22 isn't the best self defence round. But, I do carry one in the truck with me. Mine is a semi-auto .22lr as well. And yes it misfires or fails to feed or eject. BUT! That's with the cheap target ammo. Buy some CCI stingers and load it up... Gain way, because it now just became the most accurate and a reliable pistol of my group. I was looking at the Taurus for my wife as a plinker, but she chose a junky ol' Pheonix in stead. No I don't like it but it goes bang and makes her smile, so I'm happy. The .22 I have is about 30 years old and had 10's of 1000's of rounds put through it. And my point with this is that if you properly care for your weapon, it'll properly care for you. And as for you guys shaking your head at me right now, immagine staring down the muzzle of my old and ugly tiny .22 caliber hand gun. Are you debating in your head the size of my barrel? Are you thinking that "Ahhh, It's gonna misfire"? Are you thinking that I should have brought a bigger gun with me? No, My guess is that your are thinking "Oh $#!+
he's gonna shoot me. I think of it like this... If you've got a hole poked in your forehead, you ain't going to care what made it. You just wish that it didn't.

However, Whatever, Whenever! Any gun is better than no gun.

Plus, according to statistics, more guns are used in self defence and they don't even get fired. Once the bad guy that's asking for your wallet sees your unexpected sidearm. 9 times out of 10, he's gone. So .22? Yes. Taurus? Uhhhmmmm... there's alot of mixed emotions. But like I said, I bought my wife a pheonix for plinking. So if that's all you're going for, Taurus is without a doubt just fine.

Good luck!

Let us know.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:53 AM   #8
MGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinball View Post
Any gun is better than no gun.
Thats kind of my mind set, I would rather it be a .22 than my keys.

So if you guys don't like Taurus is there another brand that makes a gun like this? I just want a small frame .22.

Thanks for the honesty though guys.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:02 AM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I have a lot better things to buy with $300!

Like this German made GSG 1911-22 I got for $286.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-20-2010, 02:17 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The Beretta 22 is much better than the Taurus one, if you are dead set on that size.

Go buy a Keltec 32 or 380 if you want a gun that small.