Talk me into or out of a .40S&W - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Talk me into or out of a .40S&W

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 66 Posts

If you want to be able to hit your target through multiple barriers go with the 40 s&w most police carry it since its capable of piercing car doors, glass, dry wall, if its for conealed carry or self defense go 9mm you can rapidly engage your target while keeping a good sight picture, for home defense id use 45. Since its a bigger slower bullet and will penatrate less.

Sent from my LG-C729 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 677 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Quote:
If you want to be able to hit your target through multiple barriers go with the 40 s&w most police carry it since its capable of piercing car doors, glass, dry wall,
I see what you are saying, but I can only go by experience my 9mm has no problems going through car doors and glass. I think the police in America have just jumped on the .40 band waggon. I was on it for about 2 weeks , and jumped off.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:05 AM   #33
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22106 Times on 12429 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
If you want to be able to hit your target through multiple barriers go with the 40 s&w most police carry it since its capable of piercing car doors, glass, dry wall, if its for conealed carry or self defense go 9mm you can rapidly engage your target while keeping a good sight picture, for home defense id use 45. Since its a bigger slower bullet and will penatrate less.

Sent from my LG-C729 using Firearms Talk mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
I see what you are saying, but I can only go by experience my 9mm has no problems going through car doors and glass. I think the police in America have just jumped on the .40 band waggon. I was on it for about 2 weeks , and jumped off.
i know for a fact that a 9mm will penetrate the windshield and the front and rear seats and end up in the trunk of a car. the car used was full sized Dodge made in the mid 1970's. big car and i shot it from about 20 feet from the front of it. my 17 HMR will penetrate a windshield at 50 yards. my 1911's in 45 had not one problem in doing the same as the 9mm on the same car. so did the 40.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:02 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 353 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Putting the .40 on the back burner. Unless I decide to shoot Limited in USPSA or run into a smokin' hot deal on one. Funny thing is I've actually owned two in the past couple years and have been so disinterested in the cartridge that I never shot either.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 636 Times on 423 Posts

I really try not to shoot through people's cars if I can help. Especially through the windshield, both seats and the trunk. That could damage their groceries or something. You guys should learn some self control. 😄

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 02-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 161 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
I really try not to shoot through people's cars if I can help. Especially through the windshield, both seats and the trunk. That could damage their groceries or something. You guys should learn some self control. 😄
In Axxe's defense, he does have a bumper sticker that says "Get off my a$$ or I will destroy your groceries by way of your windshield and both seats". Couldn't be more clear if you ask me.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #37
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22106 Times on 12429 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
I really try not to shoot through people's cars if I can help. Especially through the windshield, both seats and the trunk. That could damage their groceries or something. You guys should learn some self control.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
Quote:
Originally Posted by otisthecat View Post
In Axxe's defense, he does have a bumper sticker that says "Get off my a$$ or I will destroy your groceries by way of your windshield and both seats". Couldn't be more clear if you ask me.
nothing like that guys! my brother keeps some old junkers down here at the farm that are just donors for engine parts and such and we use them for target practice occasionally.

i love when someone pops off that a 9mm or a 38 won't penetrate a windshield or doors of a car. just proves that they haven't any knowledge about what they are talking about.