Talk me into or out of a .40S&W
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Talk me into or out of a .40S&W

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 01:46 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 330 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default Talk me into or out of a .40S&W

Don't have one. Have never really been interested in owning one. I have several 9mms and a couple .45s. I reload for both and figured I don't need to bridge the middle. I've got a couple buddies who have them and want me to get started reloading the round so they can get ammo.

I could justify a .40 S&W pistol by using it to shoot major in USPSA Limited. I shoot a XDM9 5.25" for Production. That is what I would be looking for if I go ahead with this idea.

So talk me into or out of this idea. I really don't know which way I could go with this.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2014, 01:59 AM   #2

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I got one just to have most major handgun calibers but I almost never shoot it. Not that it's a bad round but just like the 9, I feel like if I can shoot a .45 fast and accurately, there is no need for me to "downgrade" to a lower caliber. I don't mean to start a caliber war, just my personal opinion.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 02-13-2014, 02:08 AM   #3

Liked 315 Times on 222 Posts

Default Talk me into or out of a .40S&W

I'm not a .40 guy, but there is .40 ammo in every store I stop in. That's worth something. Plus I shot a guy's .40 Glock at the range once, and it was a good feeling gun even though the grip was too big for me. IF I needed a new semi with good knockdown power a .40 would definitely be on my list.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 02-13-2014, 02:13 AM   #4

Liked 117 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 142

1. Variety is the spice of life...try it, you'll like it
2. As CardiacColt stated...ammo is readily available.
3. Not every gun I own is a self-defense gun...if you are the same, you definitely should give one a try.
4. Good compromise with many ammo/load options
5. Numerous purpose built .40's on the market
6. Most importantly...own one because you can!

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:21 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 142 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I have a Hi-Power in .40, really happy with it. I don't own a 9 simply because if I'm in the mood for plinking, I'll use the .22. Much cheaper to shoot all day.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:33 AM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1983 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Everything below is personal opinion. I did own a G23 for a very short time. Mostly it was Glocks dont fit me rather than the caliber.
40 in a service size pistol is not bad but it has a lot of snap in a light weight compact pistol. The snap slows down target acquisition on follow up shots. I would rather shoot a 21 oz 45 than a 21 oz 40. Ballistics are almost identical if the same weight bullet is used but pressures are not. The 45 is about 20,000 psi and the 40 is about 33,000 psi. The 45 will handle heavier bullets while the 40 gives you a little more magazine capacity. I have 9mm and 45 acp but no 40. It is true that you could find 40 S&W during the ammo shortage but why? Is it just not that popular? Tell your friends to buy you a 40 along with dies if they want you to reload for them. Personally I dont reload for anybody except close family and I am very careful.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-13-2014, 02:39 AM   #7

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts

I like my M&P 40, you can drop a 9mm or 357sig barrel into it and have 3 guns in one. 9mm always sells out before 40. 40 punches a bigger hole than 9 and also allows for a descent mag capacity.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:18 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have owned something in 40 caliber for over twenty years now. i like the 40 and will probably always own some pistol in that caliber. i have always thought it to be a good compromise caliber between the 45 and the 9mm with good capacity and decent power.

my suggestion is to try one out and see for yourself if you like it or not. some people like the 40 and some don't care for it.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:43 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1212 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 1222

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
Don't have one. Have never really been interested in owning one. I have several 9mms and a couple .45s. I reload for both and figured I don't need to bridge the middle. I've got a couple buddies who have them and want me to get started reloading the round so they can get ammo.

I could justify a .40 S&W pistol by using it to shoot major in USPSA Limited. I shoot a XDM9 5.25" for Production. That is what I would be looking for if I go ahead with this idea.

So talk me into or out of this idea. I really don't know which way I could go with this.
Why not just go for the 10mm...................

When all else fails.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:03 AM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I carry a .40 at work because it's issued. I've sold every personal .40 I've owned. The way I see it is if I want more than a 9mm +p I'll just use one of my .45's

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk