Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Survey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 05:46 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardH View Post
Seems like most of you keep a round chambered and ready to go, which I've started doing. Until earlier this year, I had fired a gun only once since I left Viet Nam in 1970 and that was about 72 or 73, a long gun I fired only once. But things change over time and I was put out to pasture on disability several years ago because of a bad back. I'm very limited in what I can do and I have to walk with the aid of a cane. That and the fact that I'm not a young pup any longer have made me more of a target for the bad guys in my mind. To solidify that idea, I was assaulted a couple years ago by some young punks out to prove they could pound and old man. I have a very nice hardwood cane and that probably saved my bacon, because I got in a couple of good whacks and the bad boys ran away.

I was fighting the VA for a full disability at the time and couldn't afford a handgun, but thankfully things changed (after a 6 year fight) and I bought my first handgun, a 9mm Springfield XD 5" Tactical in February of this year. The older I get, the less I do things in moderation and I've added another 7 handguns to my collection since: An XDm 3.8 .40 Cal; an XD .40 Sub-Compact; a Springfield EMP 9mm; an EMP .40 Cal; a Beretta 9mm PX4 Storm; an FNP 9mm and a Sig Sauer Mosquito. (I live alone, no dependents other than my 4 rescued cats, so what the hell).

At first, since I was re-learning my weapons skills (I was a damn good shot back in the day) I was a little leery of keeping a round in the chamber. But as I've spent a lot of time at the range and continue to hone my skills again (I'm still a pretty good shot and getting better), I've become more comfortable handling each pistol and now I keep 3 of them chambered and ready in separate locations around my place. And I'm having so much fun shooting them all, it's great. I can't wait to add more.
Thanks for your service Edward. Glad to have you here.

Don't sweat the 7 handguns, as none of us will find that odd. Keep buying and using.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #32
CAR

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes and more than one always

Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #33

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Kiss my gun & licence goodbye forever if unlocked ammo was anywhere near it at home...in other words, the obvious.

Can't help but be envious of you guys.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 10-22-2010, 05:27 AM   #34

Default Survey

Thanks for the comments M14sRock, I appreciate it. I'm about to add an FNH Five-SeveN to my collection this weekend. The FNH people are putting on a promo at my local gun shop and I'm going to take advantage of it. Can't wait to give a range report.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:33 AM   #35

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardH View Post
Thanks for the comments M14sRock, I appreciate it. I'm about to add an FNH Five-SeveN to my collection this weekend. The FNH people are putting on a promo at my local gun shop and I'm going to take advantage of it. Can't wait to give a range report.
You will like it. Great pistol for open range. Remember to post pics....

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #36

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't keep mine chambered (my roommates barely even let me to carry a loaded magazine inside of it)

I practice racking it every night. I'm getting fast enough to react quickly when and if that "situation" arises.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #37

Liked 2255 Times on 1185 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Do you keep your car/truck with an empty fuel tank? Do you have a few gallons of fuel stored nearby for use when you want to use said vehicle?

You may think this is absurd, but both are machines designed for a purpose. Both have been known to be involved in accidental deaths and injuries as well as criminal acts. Motor vehicles just tend to be many times more deadly than firearms.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #38

Liked 1074 Times on 532 Posts
Likes Given: 71

One in the pipe with the safety on. Of course I am lucky as there are no under 18 kids in the house. I also have a yappy small dog around as an early warning detecter. She is good at her job

Old 10-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #39

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Except for those actually locked in the safe, all guns are fully loaded, chambered, and the safeties on. I think it was Jeff Cooper who is quoted as having said, "I don't ever want to hear 'CLICK? S***! I thought it was loaded!" Ever since a man living just a couple hundred yards down the road from me was knifed by strangers in a home invasion, I've carried one loaded, cocked, and locked on my person and several others in the same condition stashed strategically throughout the house.