Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Survey (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/survey-32162/)

EdwardH 09-24-2010 04:04 AM

Survey

I'm wondering how many of you out there keep a round chambered in your handguns at home? Yea or Nay? Just curious.

M14sRock 09-24-2010 04:19 AM

Always....

2hot2handle 09-24-2010 04:20 AM

Locked and loaded, I don't know about you guys but my boomsticks don't work without a cartridge in the chamber. Maybe mine are faulty.

JonM 09-24-2010 04:40 AM

if it aint ready to go there is no point in taking it out of the safe. always one in the chamber.

Glasshartt 09-24-2010 05:02 AM

always, after all "All guns are loaded."

CA357 09-24-2010 05:16 AM

Yes, I always keep one in the chamber. It isn't any good if it isn't ready to fire.

007BondJamesBond007 09-24-2010 06:21 AM

Loaded I keep mine always ready. "Stop Mr Bad Guy while I load my gun."

DrumJunkie 09-24-2010 06:30 AM

A weapon that does not have a round in the chamber is not loaded. And an unloaded weapon can cause a lot of problems. Just understand that if something comes up and you need that weapon you will have much less time than you might think to deal with it. In a high stress situation you have a lot going on in your body as well as whatever is going on around you. Your weapon will serve you best if it is ready to do the job it was obtained for. And that also mean that you should be well trained in it's operation and safety. The weapon is an extension of yourself after all.

I have talked to a lot of "Israeli" carry people and most often it seems that they believe that they have plenty of time to rack a slide. This is not usually the case. I also have noticed that many of these people do not practice a lot. The hole idea of the "Israeli carry" come about from arming private citizens that did not have much if any training with the weapon they where supplied with. The easiest way to render a firearm safe is to not have it loaded. Then load the weapon when it is needed to be called upon. Well, that was the idea anyway. But imagine encountering an armed person that wishes to cause you harm. You bring your weapon into the picture and you are already at a disadvantage. I've seen tons of those youtube videos where they show you how to rack a slide all kinds of cool ways and it looks great. But there is no way to do that and not use time that you are giving someone that is the reason that you are bringing your weapon up because of. IK don't think anyone can bring up a weapon, rack the slide and obtain a sight picture faster than the speed of a bullet that is probably only moving about 10 yards. Outside of Hollywierd anyway.

Do yourself a great service. Learn your weapon to the point that you can use it without looking for it. Understand how to upholster it, bring it up to target, and fire to where you want that round to go. Muscle memory is very important, especially when you have no time to think and your heart is pounding in your ears. There is no safety better than training. And really the only think the unloaded chamber allows is for you to have access to a weapon that is not ready to do the job that you bought it for. If you can talk to someonethat has had to use their weapon to save their life or someone else's. Ask them just how much time it took for the entire situation to happen. I really do not know how anyone can have an unchambered weapon with them after stories like that.

Always be ready..And hope and pray you never have to rely on that training....

danf_fl 09-24-2010 07:38 AM

L & L is the only way to go. Plus I have more than one. (With no kids, it makes it easier to keep them available in different places)

She got mad at me when a little gun oil seeped into the wood of her grandfather's clock.

DrumJunkie 09-24-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 356500)
She got mad at me when a little gun oil seeped into the wood of her grandfather's clock.

It's funny because it wasn't me.....this time :o