Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Support your Independent Dealers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3676 Times on 1812 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Default Support your Independent Dealers

I'm putting my point of view out there for consideration and feedback. I see much discussion about the great deals to be found on-line, or how much Big Box Store A undercuts the small local gun dealer and I must say, it worries me.

First off, I'm not a dealer, I manage commercial construction projects for a living, but I refuse to buy guns from any Big Box chain stores and gladly pay 5% more for the personal service I get at my local, INDEPENDENT, FFL dealer. In fact I'd be embarrased to ask him to handle the paperwork on an internet purchase unless it was something extremely rare that he could not order for me.

I certainly remember more frugal times and respect everyones right to find thier best deal but I'd ask you all to consider two events that opened my eyes.

Event 1. K Mart used to be the largest retailer of guns and ammo in the country but some hi profile mass shootings and a little nudge from our pal Rosie Odonell back in the 90's got America's largest gun dealer to stop selling guns or ammo! I've not spent a penny in a K Marty since and hope to see them die a corporate death.

Event 2. Oregon & Washington used to have a fantastic sporting goods/automotive chain called GI Joes. No one could beat Joes on Long gun pricing and despite technically being a Box, they had some fairly knowledgeable guys behind the gun counter. The current recession has taken them completely out of business. Stores shuttered, hundreds out of work.

My point here is that we can not count on anyone large enough to have shareholders or even large enough to get overextended financially. Publically traded companies can decide in an instant to stop selling any product based on nothing more than that day's political hot button, IE, K Mart and now Wal Mart in many locations.

Fed's are creating more BS daily for anyong trying to get thier FFL.

So...

Should we be supporting big corporations that can decide our business is no longer worth getting beaten up on "The View". Or should we be supporting the guy who lives in our town and supports his familly by giving us a place to meet, fondle our latest wish list gun, and would only close his doors if we managed to price him out of business?

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 03-17-2010 at 07:11 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2010, 07:31 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Alot of on-line deals are infact small business in different areas.

My local gunshop is ripping people off. $459 for a Ruger LCR before taxes!! If you pay with a credit or debit card add 3%!!

That will end up being $459 +9.5% +3% out the door!!

I can get it online for $398 shipped or less. I'm all for supporting local businesses, just make sure they aren't raping you first.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

+1Gojubrian

One of the better online dealers you will hear about is Buds Gun Shop. It's just a little way up the road from me. It's a not too big shop owned by a great bunch of guys. They are as little odd though., I've seen some wild things get traded for guns in there. Including as palette of dog food

Most the sellers on gunbroker are private owned shops. The internet just makes the world smaller. As for the K Marts. Walmarts and the like, I don't shop them much. I dislike crowds.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I buy (or trade) the vast majority of my stuff at my LGS. I have used Bud's a few times for items I could not find locally. I agree that it's worth a little more to support your local dealer...

Old 03-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #5

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I try to keep my money in local shops but I'm not going to throw money away in the process. If the price is close, I'll buy local but I'm like Goju. If I can find it considerably cheaper online, I'm buying it there. I work hard for my money and need to stretch it as far as I can.

Before moving I had a great local shop that would work with you. I got my SP101 from them for $475 out the door. Was it a screaming deal, no but it was more then fair. That was during the gun craze too when you couldn't find a decent pistol to save your life. I traded a bunch of stuff with them, bought/sold stuff and made some friends. I still stop by when I go thru there.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Last edited by spittinfire; 03-17-2010 at 12:02 PM.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post

My local gunshop is ripping people off. $459 for a Ruger LCR before taxes!! If you pay with a credit or debit card add 3%!!

I can get it online for $398 shipped or less. I'm all for supporting local businesses, just make sure they aren't raping you first.
Agreed, I'm not saying bend over and take it. If you local dealer is trying to bone you, then absolutely take your business elsewhere.

I've shopped my local dealers prices online and have not seen a price that beat his. My last purchase 2 weeks ago was a Stainless Steel CZ75B 9mm NIB. He was asking 639.00 which beat anything I found online by 20.00.

I found this guy 10 years ago while shopping for a new Kimber. At that time the gun MSRP'd for 1100. I called 3 different dealer and was quoted 950, 940, and 840. Of course I bought the best deal and have since purchased 7 more handguns from the same dealer and his prices are still great.

Heck, I'd buy from him even it cost me a little more.

Gun $639
NICS $15 "but we'll throw that in"
Buying a gun from a guy who calls you by name when you walk in the door...

Priceless...

Old 03-18-2010, 05:43 AM   #7

Default My Favorite Dealer

Like I said, I've bought 7 handguns and a shotgun from this guy in the last 10 years. Small shop, hole in the wall well off the main road, 1 man show.

Everyone remembers the half empty shelves in all of our gun stores shortly after the last "Historic Election".

I walked into my toy store during this time and was greeted by an 8.5x11 photo of our new POTUS with the label on the bottom of the frame reading,
"Employee of the Month"!

The combination of the sold out guns and that picture had me laughing so damn hard I had to sit down...

Old 03-18-2010, 05:55 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I know where you are coming from Tackleberry.

Some local businesses are worth supporting, some are not.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post

Sure on line dealers are small businesses but unless your an FFL that on line deal ain't shipping direct to you, It's going to your local FFL who still has to charge you your 9.5 sales tax. If you don't like the 3% visa pay cash. So what your really talking about is taking up someones time to fondle the gun your thinking about, then buying it online to save $61.00? I guess I just really like my dealer because if $61.00 is a rip off for the ability to hold a gun before spending my money to buy it...Well bend me over!

Old 03-27-2010, 05:43 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 429 Times on 229 Posts

That just refreshed my memory, I remember K-mart selling Guns. I haven't thought about that until I just read it.

I do buy my guns from local shop. My gun guy is coming out with his own line of AR's and I am waiting on him getting his ATF stuff finished up and my next AR, I am going to build off his new products. I will give you info when this happens.

I support local hometown businesses as much as possible.