Suggestions for first pistol
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Suggestions for first pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Suggestions for first pistol

Hello all. After doing some shooting with my family over the holidays, I'm looking to take the plunge into owning my first pistol. Looking for any and all advice with the following criteria:

1) Pistol, not a revolver.
2) target > home defense > concealed carry
3) need to be reasonable for my wife to shoot. Need her to be comfortable with it in a time of need
4) safe and reliable

Would like to keep the price tag under $500 to lessen any wife anger.

New or used, doesn't matter as long as the gun is safe and reliable.

Many thanks for any and all responses.

Mike

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2014, 11:36 PM   #2

Liked 810 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Most fun and an excellent trainer (though light for stopping power) would be a Ruger SR-22 pistol.
Or if you need a centerfire then Ruger has many choices like the SR9.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:47 PM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1288 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 554

Glock 9MM (17 or 19) or S&W M&P 9MM. Either of those two are good guns and will serve you well.

New or used, if not abused, both of those guns will keep shooting for a really long time with minimal maintenance.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:55 PM   #4

Liked 162 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 173

what hiwall said...Ruger SR9 is under $500, dependable and shoots low cost 9mm allowing lots of practice which is really the key no matter what gun you shoot.

There are two things that give an armed, law abiding citizen a definite advantage in most gun fights...first, you typically are defending something VERY precious to you be it a friend, family member or your own life...secondly, law abiding citizens tend to practice ALOT more than thugs and shoot better.... practice, practice and more practice.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #5

Liked 355 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 64

S&W Shield will meet all three of your criteria in one handgun. Well under $500.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:03 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22220 Times on 12454 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

new to pistols? i would highly suggest starting with a 22 first, then working up to larger centerfire calibers like a 9mm. a 22 is much cheaper and easier to learn the basics of pistol shooting and to build a good foundation on for larger calibers.
danf_fl Likes This 
Old 01-04-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3369 Times on 1929 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

Everything you learn from a .22 can be applied to a larger caliber.

Do not get into the "spray and pray". That wastes ammo.

On the range for informal practice, I load only 5 rounds at a time. I am then forced to reload. This gives me time to evaluate what I am doing wrong. And it makes my range time longer.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
Mouser Likes This 
Old 01-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #8

Liked 162 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Everything you learn from a .22 can be applied to a larger caliber.

Do not get into the "spray and pray". That wastes ammo.

On the range for informal practice, I load only 5 rounds at a time. I am then forced to reload. This gives me time to evaluate what I am doing wrong. And it makes my range time longer.
I do the same thing with regard to loading only 5 rounds...mostly anyways. Slows me down, allows me to enjoy more range time and helps me troubleshoot any accuracy issues I have. I have a Springfield XDM 5.25 in 9mm and the magazine holds 19 rounds...just imagine going through a box of ammo with 2 and half magazine loads

Old 01-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #9

Liked 3610 Times on 2062 Posts
Likes Given: 2495

.22lr. is generally a great recommendation for a first pistol, however with the lack of .22lr. ammo availability, at this time, I am recommending a 9mm.

One pistol that covers every one of your criteria is the Ruger SR9c. I recommend you and your wife try several different platforms and calibers, including the 9c.

Enjoy the process and be safe!

And a Penn's Woods welcome to FTF!
Old 01-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #10

Liked 160 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
I do the same thing with regard to loading only 5 rounds...mostly anyways. Slows me down, allows me to enjoy more range time and helps me troubleshoot any accuracy issues I have. I have a Springfield XDM 5.25 in 9mm and the magazine holds 19 rounds...just imagine going through a box of ammo with 2 and half magazine loads
I have this "problem" ha ha...

Lots of good suggestions. I will be 100% honest and tell you for years all I would shoot was 22LR, because I had put up a mental block that I wasn't strong enough to shoot a bigger pistol or rifle. Well I was wrong. I got a Beretta PX4 Storm (around 500) in 9mm, the sub-compact model. I carry with the 17 round magazines which allows for a full size grip feel. Now I can go out and easily go through a few hundred rounds, pick up the AR15 and go through as many magazines as I want to and move to the 20GA shotgun.

Alot of women want to really learn and practice without judgement. If you are a good teacher, and you guys can work together well (hey don't laugh alot of people can't!) then by all means take her to the range and learn together. If you are a newbie, and so is she, get the gun of choice and buy yourselves a class at a reputable range. Impartial teacher, and you'll learn together.