Stuck on my options - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Stuck on my options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

All the safety talk is nonsense. All the ADs from LEOs could have been avoided with the simple idea of keeping your finger off the trigger unless the life threat is there. As well people carry double action revolvers all the time, they don't get hated on constantly for not having a safety..

Old 09-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #22

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I personally went through the same situation. I've heard good things about both. But I went with the M&P 40 because it felt better in my hand then any of the gen glocks. Plus it doesn't look as blocky. Fires good, feels good, looks good.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexas325 View Post
All the safety talk is nonsense. All the ADs from LEOs could have been avoided with the simple idea of keeping your finger off the trigger unless the life threat is there. As well people carry double action revolvers all the time, they don't get hated on constantly for not having a safety..
Isn't the force required to fire an uncocked double action revolver much more than a Glock? Like usually 8 plus pounds more comparing stock Glock to stock S&W? They are both ready to fire with only a trigger pull, but it takes much more force and trigger travel to fire the revolver.

When I use an IWB holster for my S&W revolvers I keep my thumb on the hammer. If I feel even the slightest bit of movement I stop what I am doing. Obviously the trigger is catching on something to make the hammer move which could cause an accidental discharge. Try the same thing with a Glock. If the trigger catches on one of those the first thing you'll feel is recoil.

Because of the inherent lack of safety, I refuse to use an IWB holster with my Glock, but that's all I use for my revolvers. In all fairness I won't carry my XD 40 IWB either, even with the grip safety. My goal in this life is to leave this world with the same number of holes I came into it with, hence the caution.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #24

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Usually when there is a term for injuries sustained by users of a certain weapon there is higher than normal risk of injury when using that weapon. Glock leg is a widely used term, even by police officers that carry the Glock.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5659 Times on 2956 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Almost every military on the planet has some type of safety on their weapons (Austria -Being an exception) and there is a damn good reason for it. Murphy's Law reigns supreme and no amt of training can revoke this principle. Army's been trying to stop AD/ND since Valley Forge w/o success.

Glock is not the greatest invention in the course of human history. It is a weapon's platform from the 80s that has its strengths & weaknesses. If you want to shoot lead or reloads just factor in another barrel. The 416 steel frame from Wolf does look like a promising upgrade but will not solve the safety issue.

Comedians here on FTF often refer to it as the "Bugger Hook Hypothesis" which while mildly humorous, does nothing to solve the problem. If an active or passive safety could stop just one accident, wouldn't it be worth it ?
US military doctrine for handguns for most but not all troops is chamber empty in a flap holster...

a good holster and you dont need a manual safety. i routinely carry all my guns loaded. my xdm which is my main carry has a grip safety and unless you put your hand on the gun in a fashion that enables you to fire it the gun cant go off. same is true of the 1911.

no safety device will ever stop an "accident" all so called accidental discharges are brought about through either carelessness or negligence. a safety isnt going to save you from not paying attention to what your doing.

people are routinely shot and killed or wounded at an alarming rate by unloaded guns. you can add in all the safety devices you want but if your not familiar with a particular gun or have bypassed the time and effort to get basic firearms safety training no mechanical device will save you. you wouldnt operate a motor vehicle without some driver training and knowing how to properly operate a vehicle. guns are no different just an inanimate object with no will of their own.

now all that being said my opinion is that the springfield XDM and 1911 have the best safety features out there

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #26

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

S&W MP 40 c was my choice. I had both and sold the Glock to my cousin. He had to have a Glock because that is what he sees On TV. Even though he shot better with the S&W he went for the name. The MP feels more comfortable to me and points more naturally in my case. I shoot better and have more confidence when carrying the S&W MP 40C. Since this decision I have the 9 9c 40 40c and the 45 MP and the Shield in both 9 and 40.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
a good holster and you dont need a manual safety. i routinely carry all my guns loaded. my xdm which is my main carry has a grip safety and unless you put your hand on the gun in a fashion that enables you to fire it the gun cant go off. same is true of the 1911.
Unfortunately the grip naturally used to holster a weapon is also the same grip used to fire the weapon. You have to make a conscious effort to alter your grip when holstering something with a grip safety if no manual safety is engaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
no safety device will ever stop an "accident" all so called accidental discharges are brought about through either carelessness or negligence. a safety isnt going to save you from not paying attention to what your doing.
I love the way you put quotations around the word "accident". In my opinion there is no such thing, and claiming to have had an "accident" is a poor excuse for getting caught being lazy or stupid. Thousands of engineers have come up with hundreds of ways to make the machines we operate idiot proof, and damned if we didn't come up with a better breed of idiot.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #28

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

We all suffer from brain farts at some point in our lives. Anyone who claims they have never had a brain fart is not being honest with themselves. The thousands of engineers are the biggest problem we have in the US. They design a machine they have never operated and pronounce it idiot proof. Kind of like the award winning architect that lays out a control line from the center of a steel beam.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-22-2012, 05:06 AM   #29

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
We all suffer from brain farts at some point in our lives. Anyone who claims they have never had a brain fart is not being honest with themselves. The thousands of engineers are the biggest problem we have in the US. They design a machine they have never operated and pronounce it idiot proof. Kind of like the award winning architect that lays out a control line from the center of a steel beam.
Ive got a friend that works in the gun industry. From what Ive gathered from him, the engineers and designers they employ have more experience with firearms than many of the knowledgeable people on this forum.

The biggest problem we have is idiots letting themselves get lazy. No I am not saying that Ive never had a brain fart in my life. But I have never had a brain fart when handling something that could kill someone.

Having the mentality that "its gonna happen" is IMHO a serious problem. It excuses idiotic behavior.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
The biggest problem we have is idiots letting themselves get lazy. No I am not saying that Ive never had a brain fart in my life. But I have never had a brain fart when handling something that could kill someone.
Either you don't drive or you're not being completely honest with yourself. You know what I'm talking about. That one boneheaded stunt where the first thing you do is look around to see if a cop saw you? Yeah, that one.

Look, I'm not trying to come down on you, but people don't see cars as deadly weapons. They use them every day and nothing happens, so they get complacent. The same can be said for gun owners.