Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Stuck on my options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 03:38 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Look, your comment was way too generalized and misleading to've had any validity here.
Hardly. The point is that anyone can be negligent with anything. That in itself is a valid statement. Once we realize this, and it appears that we both do, we mitigate the issue by knowing what we are doing. Yes anyone can have a slip up. But if you do it the same way every time, properly and knowingly, then you can not have an ND.

Quote:
My point was and always will be that a manual safety is that something extra which can help prevent such idiotic instances and avoid any unnecessary and unfortunate event from occuring.
I don't understand how you can say this for LEOs but not civilian carry.

Me personally, I don't care for GLOCK. It just does not feel right in my hand and does not point well for me. And while I do carry a pistol with a thumb safety, I do not care for those that are overly small. When stress is high it is way to easy to miss it. Same reason I don't use the slide lock release when reloading.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-06-2012, 04:42 AM   #12

Liked 257 Times on 227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale
Hardly. The point is that anyone can be negligent with anything. That in itself is a valid statement. Once we realize this, and it appears that we both do, we mitigate the issue by knowing what we are doing. Yes anyone can have a slip up. But if you do it the same way every time, properly and knowingly, then you can not have an ND.

I don't understand how you can say this for LEOs but not civilian carry.
Incorrect, no amount of practice can provide absolute assuredness that something wont go wrong. I've already addressed this, humans are fallible, this is not an opinion it's a fact.

Another fact, anyone CAN be negligent with ANY firearm. I never once stated otherwise. However, the fewer the safeties the more the possibility for foul.

Likelihood cannot be accounted for, too many unpredictable circumstances. Thus my point remains supreme, and even the most basic of logic would mandate that, circumstantial speculation aside (which you seem to fail to grasp), it would be purposefully ignorant and more negligent to disregard the value in the superiority of a manual, manipulatable safety as opposed to the lack thereof, in terms of being safe overall.

It literally is as simple as a most rudimentary mathematical equation. There's that 1 more safety, not just in concept but tangible feature.

Read your last statement, count the "ifs", too many for my taste, and I'd hope for others as well. However, just to help reading comprehension by simplifying as best possible, add a safety to the gun and you can help to remedy one of those.

Now it is possible that one can forget to set a safety, but thats more of those circumstantial conjectures that have no place in this argument. At least it would be there, which is better than Glock can claim.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:20 AM   #13

For a man that uses so many words, you seem to fail to grasp them. Please read my previous post again and try to comprehend what I said.

And please address the rest of my post.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-09-2012, 02:59 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 236 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Almost every military on the planet has some type of safety on their weapons (Austria -Being an exception) and there is a damn good reason for it. Murphy's Law reigns supreme and no amt of training can revoke this principle. Army's been trying to stop AD/ND since Valley Forge w/o success.

Glock is not the greatest invention in the course of human history. It is a weapon's platform from the 80s that has its strengths & weaknesses. If you want to shoot lead or reloads just factor in another barrel. The 416 steel frame from Wolf does look like a promising upgrade but will not solve the safety issue.

Comedians here on FTF often refer to it as the "Bugger Hook Hypothesis" which while mildly humorous, does nothing to solve the problem. If an active or passive safety could stop just one accident, wouldn't it be worth it ?

Old 09-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #15

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 29

M&P all the way out of these two. They both have that pointless thing on the trigger which means they are both less safe than something with a real safety, but that notwithstanding, the S&W just feels better. The little trigger safety doesn't care if it's your finger on the trigger or a shirt that gets inside the trigger guard when reholstering. The XD seemed a bit better as far as that goes...

Old 09-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1732 Times on 976 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduparob View Post
What's going on fellas I'm new to the gun scene and now I'm stuck personal first hand experience On these 2 hand guns are GREATLY APPRECIATED

M&p .40c vs G27.40
Attachment 56763
Within the last year I have owned both guns in question. I still have the Glock. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the M&P .40, but it just wasn't fun to shoot. It wasn't punishing, it stayed pretty much on target, cleaning was a snap, and it carried well. It just lacked personality.

The Glock also is sort of blah, but it has a better sight picture, it hits dead on for me, and it's easier to disassemble for cleaning.

They are both more than capable of doing what you need them to do, so I guess you should try to shoot both of them to see which one is a better fit for you.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1004 Times on 564 Posts
Likes Given: 391

I have said it before, once more won't hurt a thing.

I'll pay the shipping to take any unwanted Glocks off your hands and will provide them a safe, secure environment.

OP: either pistol will serve its purpose, get the one you like best.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #18
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1251 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Except for the G36, Glocks dont fit my hand. I traded my G19 for a Ruger SR9c. The SR40c is the same size. Of the 2 the op posted, I would go with the Smith. Besides the Smith is made in the USA.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #19

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Neither are bad choices, but neither would be my first, or even fourth choice for several reasons. If you can swing it check out a Sig 229 or similar. You should be able to find a used one for a little more than your other choices. I'm not a fan of polymer, but I will say that both GLOCK and the M&P do what they are made to do (go bang).

Old 09-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969 View Post
Neither are bad choices, but neither would be my first, or even fourth choice for several reasons. If you can swing it check out a Sig 229 or similar. You should be able to find a used one for a little more than your other choices. I'm not a fan of polymer, but I will say that both GLOCK and the M&P do what they are made to do (go bang).
I too do greatly prefer the feel of metal and wood in my hand.