Striker fired vs double actiom - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Striker fired vs double actiom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

Other than all the incidents ive seen of glock fail (im not a koolaid drinker) glocks dont have a real safety and people shoot themselves a lot with em for whatever reason. I just personal dont think they are safe enough for me to carry. The sw mp falls into that same category for me also.
I'm not disputing your argument against Glock/M&P on the basis of their lack of an external safety. That's your opinion, and it is valid. However...NOBODY, while following the the rules of firearm safety, has ever accidentally shot themselves. Regardless of the make of the gun or whether it had an external safety.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #12

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I carried my G31 for many years...i chased dirtbags on foot,fought on the ground numerous times,ran through briars and branches, stood on a firing line to requalify several times,and drew down on people and reholstered probably a thousand times and i NEVER once had a negligent discharge. A negligent discharge is exactly what it is, negligence.. A properly trained and RESPONSIBLE person will go a lifetime without any problems, no matter what the weapon of choice is. Not arguing with anyone,but thats how it is

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It looks like this thread turned into kind of a safety debate.

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Old 01-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5499 Times on 2871 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I'm not disputing your argument against Glock/M&P on the basis of their lack of an external safety. That's your opinion, and it is valid. However...NOBODY, while following the the rules of firearm safety, has ever accidentally shot themselves. Regardless of the make of the gun or whether it had an external safety.
there are cases of glock leg happening due to holster failure. some models will wear in wrong and a small flap will fold in hile holstering causing the trigger to depress.

im not saying its going to happen a lot it doesnt. its just a negative buying point i consider.

after all its just as safe carrying a 1911 cocked round in with safety off as carrying a xdm. you CAN carry a revolver with the hammer cocked long as you keep the finger off the trigger its safe. i dont disagree that gun safety is the usermost of the time, but there are cases of discharges that werent negligent but due to gear failure. that falls under accidental.

i know everyone has a different look on things ive carried m9 and 1911 as a duty weapon and my unit didnt have a nd until we switched to berretas...

when a nco cranks off 4 rounds of m60 ammo "clearing" the weapon its an eye opener. he just broke the links off thinking that unloaded the gun flopped it onto the halfdoor at the arms room and yanked the trigger.

most of the time it takes a whole lot of stupid to get a gun to go off the wrong way.

ive carried ccw/oc 1911, xdm, ppk, bersa, sig, desert eagle, hk, cz and maybe a few others that i cant remember atm. ive developed my opinion on whats a good carry gun for myself over a long time. i know what i like isnt what everyone else would be comfy with.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

isn't the greatest, but it illustrates the basic idea.
images.jpg  

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 01-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #16

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

The OP asked "How do they work?"..Not sure if he means... how do they function? Which many have answerd here...or, how do they operate? I'll answer the second question. The advantage of an DA/SA (IMO) is after firing the first shot (long pull), you have subsequent light trigger pull, quick firing shots. The disadvantage is getting proficient at firing it under any conditions. The advantage of a striker-fired weapon is, generally...the have no levers or safeties, simply pull the trigger. The pull is the same with each and every shot, just a longer pull than a single action pull.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #17

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts

Thank you for your responses that clears things up quite well

Old 01-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #18

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

there are cases of glock leg happening due to holster failure. some models will wear in wrong and a small flap will fold in hile holstering causing the trigger to depress.

im not saying its going to happen a lot it doesnt. its just a negative buying point i consider.

after all its just as safe carrying a 1911 cocked round in with safety off as carrying a xdm. you CAN carry a revolver with the hammer cocked long as you keep the finger off the trigger its safe. i dont disagree that gun safety is the usermost of the time, but there are cases of discharges that werent negligent but due to gear failure. that falls under accidental.

i know everyone has a different look on things ive carried m9 and 1911 as a duty weapon and my unit didnt have a nd until we switched to berretas...

when a nco cranks off 4 rounds of m60 ammo "clearing" the weapon its an eye opener. he just broke the links off thinking that unloaded the gun flopped it onto the halfdoor at the arms room and yanked the trigger.

most of the time it takes a whole lot of stupid to get a gun to go off the wrong way.

ive carried ccw/oc 1911, xdm, ppk, bersa, sig, desert eagle, hk, cz and maybe a few others that i cant remember atm. ive developed my opinion on whats a good carry gun for myself over a long time. i know what i like isnt what everyone else would be comfy with.
Like I said, not discounting your opinion. A man likes what he likes, and the reasons you state are valid. You have more exp than me also, so I would hardly have a leg to stand on with anything other than to call it MY opinion.

What I was addressing was the "Glock" leg phenomenon. As you stated, it is typically due to equipment failure that has nothing to do with the pistol itself. The design is inherently safe, as the trigger MUST be pulled in order for them to discharge.

I think we do the OP a disservice by making general comments about an entire class of handgun, without pointing to the actual problem, which has nothing to do with the design.

JMHO