Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Striker fired vs double actiom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 04:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts

Default Striker fired vs double actiom

I am familiar with the difference in revolvers between SA and DA but what are the strengths/weaknesses of striker fired vs DA in a semi auto? Also how do they work? Thanks for your responses

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-27-2012, 05:03 AM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 723

SA and DA are based upon a hammer providing the force to strike the primer. Striker fired are based upon a spring loaded firing pin, no hammer required. Don't know if I would describe either have a strength or weakness over the other. They're just different.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The definition of SA and DA applies to striker fired guns, just as it does to hammer fired.

Some striker fired guns are full DA. On these guns, racking the slide does not cock the striker. The striker is pulled back and released by pulling the trigger, like any other DA gun. The advantage to this type of gun is that if you get a misfire, you can restrike by simply pulling the trigger again.

Other striker fired guns are SA, in that pulling the trigger does not pull the striker back at all. It must be fully cocked first, like other SA guns. When you rack the slide the striker stays cocked. The trigger only releases it.

Then there are the guns that are sort of in between the two. Guns like my Kahr. The striker must be cocked first in order to fire. Pulling the trigger alone will not fire the gun if it is uncocked. But when it is cocked, the striker is only drawn part way back. Pulling the trigger draws the striker back the rest of the way and then releases it. Since these guns don't have to pull the striker back as far to fire, trigger pull is lighter. But you lose the ability to restrike on a misfire.

Last edited by Paladin201; 01-27-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ignore...double posted

Old 01-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5302 Times on 2768 Posts
Likes Given: 334

The drawback i have with a lot of striker fired pistols is the lack of a real safety. Most rely on a trigger safety which does nothing if a foriegn object gets in the trigger guard.

However i carry a xdm. because its got a grip safety i feel comfy with it. True da guns like sigp220 and revolvers that have no safety i feel comfy because its got that long hard trigger pull for the first shot. Its very unlikely an object will exert enough force to make it go off.

A true sa gun like a 1911 tend to have manual safeties.

Other than all the incidents ive seen of glock fail (im not a koolaid drinker) glocks dont have a real safety and people shoot themselves a lot with em for whatever reason. I just personal dont think they are safe enough for me to carry. The sw mp falls into that same category for me also.

I know lots of people like em im not one of them

For me a gun has to have some sort of positive safety sa gun or be a true long pull da gun.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
The drawback i have with a lot of striker fired pistols is the lack of a real safety. Most rely on a trigger safety which does nothing if a foriegn object gets in the trigger guard.
That's one of the things that I found appealing on the Ruger SR9C. I should probably look into how it actually works.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
The drawback i have with a lot of striker fired pistols is the lack of a real safety.
I certainly see your point, but a lot of people see a manual safety as something that you will forget in the heat of the moment and end up trying to pull the trigger with the safety still on. I know there are validated cases of this. I saw a security camera video of a convenience store robbery. The clerk saw the bad guy drawing a gun as he approached the counter. The clerk drew his own gun, pointed it at the bad guy, and you could clearly see him pulling the trigger on the video. The bad guy shot the clerk. When police arrived, they found the clerk dead, still holding his gun, with the safety still engaged. Not arguing the point, just saying a lot of people feel that way.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2650 Times on 1545 Posts
Likes Given: 1175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
I certainly see your point, but a lot of people see a manual safety as something that you will forget in the heat of the moment and end up trying to pull the trigger with the safety still on. I know there are validated cases of this. I saw a security camera video of a convenience store robbery. The clerk saw the bad guy drawing a gun as he approached the counter. The clerk drew his own gun, pointed it at the bad guy, and you could clearly see him pulling the trigger on the video. The bad guy shot the clerk. When police arrived, they found the clerk dead, still holding his gun, with the safety still engaged. Not arguing the point, just saying a lot of people feel that way.
There is a lot to say about becoming proficient with your SD firearm. Muscle memory is also developed. Most of the 1911 people do not even notice when they put the safety in the "fire" position.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 01-27-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: fat fingers

Old 01-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5302 Times on 2768 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
There is a lot to say about becoming proficient with your SD firearm. Muscle memory is also developed. Most of the 1911 people do not even notice when they put the safety in the "fire" position.
It all comes down to training. There are folks that carry empy chamber. I find myself unconciously trying to swipe the safety on my xdm and sig220 from time to time. 20 years of 1911 shooting just has ingrained it in me.

I ruled out a 1911 for my wife because she simply is not going to put in the level of training needed to turn the swipe the safety motion into an automatic reflex.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #10

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

me personally I prefer something like the 1911 over say a glock 17 because it's full metal and has an external hammer making easier to uncock, along with several external safeties. Most striker fired pistols have polymer lowers, and trigger safety, as said they're ok but if a foreign object gets in the trigger guard they aren't worth a damn. Also like the Taurus PT709 slim it has a firing pin block along with a trigger safety along with a low profile external safety, but still has a polymer lower and is striker fired. They all fire bullets but really it's all personal preference, they're really no technical winner, they've both been proven and work.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED