Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Striker fired vs double actiom (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/striker-fired-vs-double-actiom-56416/)

Hectocotylus 01-27-2012 04:56 AM

Striker fired vs double actiom
 
I am familiar with the difference in revolvers between SA and DA but what are the strengths/weaknesses of striker fired vs DA in a semi auto? Also how do they work? Thanks for your responses

ScottA 01-27-2012 05:03 AM

SA and DA are based upon a hammer providing the force to strike the primer. Striker fired are based upon a spring loaded firing pin, no hammer required. Don't know if I would describe either have a strength or weakness over the other. They're just different.

Paladin201 01-27-2012 12:28 PM

The definition of SA and DA applies to striker fired guns, just as it does to hammer fired.

Some striker fired guns are full DA. On these guns, racking the slide does not cock the striker. The striker is pulled back and released by pulling the trigger, like any other DA gun. The advantage to this type of gun is that if you get a misfire, you can restrike by simply pulling the trigger again.

Other striker fired guns are SA, in that pulling the trigger does not pull the striker back at all. It must be fully cocked first, like other SA guns. When you rack the slide the striker stays cocked. The trigger only releases it.

Then there are the guns that are sort of in between the two. Guns like my Kahr. The striker must be cocked first in order to fire. Pulling the trigger alone will not fire the gun if it is uncocked. But when it is cocked, the striker is only drawn part way back. Pulling the trigger draws the striker back the rest of the way and then releases it. Since these guns don't have to pull the striker back as far to fire, trigger pull is lighter. But you lose the ability to restrike on a misfire.

Paladin201 01-27-2012 12:29 PM

Ignore...double posted

JonM 01-27-2012 02:17 PM

The drawback i have with a lot of striker fired pistols is the lack of a real safety. Most rely on a trigger safety which does nothing if a foriegn object gets in the trigger guard.

However i carry a xdm. because its got a grip safety i feel comfy with it. True da guns like sigp220 and revolvers that have no safety i feel comfy because its got that long hard trigger pull for the first shot. Its very unlikely an object will exert enough force to make it go off.

A true sa gun like a 1911 tend to have manual safeties.

Other than all the incidents ive seen of glock fail (im not a koolaid drinker) glocks dont have a real safety and people shoot themselves a lot with em for whatever reason. I just personal dont think they are safe enough for me to carry. The sw mp falls into that same category for me also.

I know lots of people like em im not one of them

For me a gun has to have some sort of positive safety sa gun or be a true long pull da gun.

ScottA 01-27-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 690951)
The drawback i have with a lot of striker fired pistols is the lack of a real safety. Most rely on a trigger safety which does nothing if a foriegn object gets in the trigger guard.

That's one of the things that I found appealing on the Ruger SR9C. I should probably look into how it actually works. :confused:

Paladin201 01-27-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 690951)
The drawback i have with a lot of striker fired pistols is the lack of a real safety.

I certainly see your point, but a lot of people see a manual safety as something that you will forget in the heat of the moment and end up trying to pull the trigger with the safety still on. I know there are validated cases of this. I saw a security camera video of a convenience store robbery. The clerk saw the bad guy drawing a gun as he approached the counter. The clerk drew his own gun, pointed it at the bad guy, and you could clearly see him pulling the trigger on the video. The bad guy shot the clerk. When police arrived, they found the clerk dead, still holding his gun, with the safety still engaged. Not arguing the point, just saying a lot of people feel that way.

danf_fl 01-27-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin201 (Post 690999)
I certainly see your point, but a lot of people see a manual safety as something that you will forget in the heat of the moment and end up trying to pull the trigger with the safety still on. I know there are validated cases of this. I saw a security camera video of a convenience store robbery. The clerk saw the bad guy drawing a gun as he approached the counter. The clerk drew his own gun, pointed it at the bad guy, and you could clearly see him pulling the trigger on the video. The bad guy shot the clerk. When police arrived, they found the clerk dead, still holding his gun, with the safety still engaged. Not arguing the point, just saying a lot of people feel that way.

There is a lot to say about becoming proficient with your SD firearm. Muscle memory is also developed. Most of the 1911 people do not even notice when they put the safety in the "fire" position.

JonM 01-27-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin201 (Post 690999)
I certainly see your point, but a lot of people see a manual safety as something that you will forget in the heat of the moment and end up trying to pull the trigger with the safety still on. I know there are validated cases of this. I saw a security camera video of a convenience store robbery. The clerk saw the bad guy drawing a gun as he approached the counter. The clerk drew his own gun, pointed it at the bad guy, and you could clearly see him pulling the trigger on the video. The bad guy shot the clerk. When police arrived, they found the clerk dead, still holding his gun, with the safety still engaged. Not arguing the point, just saying a lot of people feel that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 691002)
There is a lot to say about becoming proficient with your SD firearm. Muscle memory is also developed. Most of the 1911 people do not even notice when they put the safety in the "fire" position.

It all comes down to training. There are folks that carry empy chamber. I find myself unconciously trying to swipe the safety on my xdm and sig220 from time to time. 20 years of 1911 shooting just has ingrained it in me.

I ruled out a 1911 for my wife because she simply is not going to put in the level of training needed to turn the swipe the safety motion into an automatic reflex.

unclebear 01-27-2012 04:56 PM

me personally I prefer something like the 1911 over say a glock 17 because it's full metal and has an external hammer making easier to uncock, along with several external safeties. Most striker fired pistols have polymer lowers, and trigger safety, as said they're ok but if a foreign object gets in the trigger guard they aren't worth a damn. Also like the Taurus PT709 slim it has a firing pin block along with a trigger safety along with a low profile external safety, but still has a polymer lower and is striker fired. They all fire bullets but really it's all personal preference, they're really no technical winner, they've both been proven and work.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:27 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.