Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Striker fired pistols

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 02:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Striker fired pistols

Are striker fired pistols like the XD double or single action?

Is there any disadvantage or concerns with striker fired pistols vs. external hammer pistols?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #2

Likes Given: 1

I believe they can be both depending on whether or not the trigger loads and releases the striker (Glock) or simply releases it after the slide has compressed the striker (XDM).

"THE CONSTITUTION ONLY GIVES PEOPLE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE HAPPINESS, YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF." ~BENJAMIN FRANKLIN.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Is there any disadvantage or concerns with striker fired pistols vs. external hammer pistols?
The 1911 has an exposed hammer therefore all pistols should be equipped with such.

Seriously, it's just a matter of personal preference but I guess one advantage is you could cock an exposed hammer if you experienced a light strike. (Taurus offers second-strike capability on some of theirs I know)

Old 10-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
The 1911 has an exposed hammer therefore all pistols should be equipped with such.
haha thanks! you made me laugh out loud in the library, now everyone is looking at me.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them"-Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I was thinking about this the other night with my XD. I can't find a way to get a round chambered without racking the slide (disassembly not considered). Racking the slide cocks the striker. I'm fairly certain that pulling the trigger again won't recock the striker and release it. I guess this makes it a single action.

I want a decocker on my next pistol, so i suppose i will need an external hammer. Maybe i will find an inexpensive cz82 at the gun show Saturday.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:01 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If pressing the trigger serves to cock the weapon, it's a double action.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:45 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A good question.
As I understand it a single action pistol requires the hammer or slide to be cocked/charged for each shot. Striker fired pistols require the slided to be cocked/charged for the first round then the following rounds do not require cocking/charging. I would consider the striker to be a DA IMHO. I could be wrong and I'm surprised that some of FTF gun ghru's haven't provided the tech either way.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #8

All semi autos require the slide or bolt to cycle to chamber the next round so none of them are a true DA like a revolver - which brings the next round into play and cocks & releases the hammer.

I think most striker fired guns are a hybrid in that some slide movement is required to "reset" the striker for the next shot. I say hybrid as this reset may only partially "cock" the striker and the trigger pull does the rest. As I had mentioned, Taurus has a true DA second strike capability and it's the only one that comes to mind other than the Walther P99 which is a striker fired gun that also has a decocker...

Last edited by NGIB; 10-05-2009 at 09:21 AM.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
All semi autos require the slide or bolt to cycle to chamber the next round so none of them are a true DA like a revolver - which brings the next round into play and cocks & releases the hammer.

I think most striker fired guns are a hybrid in that some slide movement is required to "reset" the striker for the next shot. I say hybrid as this reset may only partially "cock" the striker and the trigger pull does the rest. As I had mentioned, Taurus has a true DA second strike capability and it's the only one that comes to mind other than the Walther P99 which is a striker fired gun that also has a decocker...
Not familar with the Taurus or the P99, after decocking do you have to pull the slide again or flip the decocker to the fire position? If you have to pull the slide does the live round in the chamber eject or stay put? Might seem like stupid (might be) had to ask and expose my lack of experience with strikers with a decocker.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #10

The Taurus 24/7 Pro series (and maybe other Taurii) the trigger actually works as a true DA in that you can cock & fire the gun by trigger alone. Ditto on the P99 as the trigger reverts to true DA mode when it's decocked.

Most striker fired guns require at least a partial cycle of the slide to reset the striker. Most do not have to be cycled far enough to actually eject the round though and some require very little slide movement to accomplish this...